1982 GS400E Chain Slack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS400E Chain Slack

Hi all. I just set me chain slack to 3/4" tonight but plan to change it tomorrow. What is the correct setting? My bike doesn't look anything like that of the GS400's in my Clymer manual so I don't trust the manual. When I went to a swap meet I found manuals for my bike, including a GS400E supplement, and they didn't look like my bike. What have I got? Mine looks sporty but all the pictures I see of GS400E's look STUPID and SLOW

Thanks, Steve

measured at the middle of the lower chain run there should be 1" to 11/4" freeplay
    Dink

Comment

If your avatar is a picture of your bike then I'd say it's the same as mine, a GS400EZ. Nice black. Mine was red originally but when I purchased it the paint was silver on the sunny side and metallic red on the shade side.... ack. Now It's a nice metallic blue.
      It's the sporty version as opposed to the cruiser. The best way to tell though is to look at the left side of your steering head with the handlebars turned all the way to the right. Stamped on there will be all sorts of goodies like when the bike was made, VIN and .... your model type. Mine has GS400E very strongly hammered in with the Z at the end just barely legible.

Nice to hear from another GS400E pilot, I don't see enough of that around here. 8)

Comment

Doesn't 11/4 work out to be 3 1/4 inch of slack? I hate when I fat finger my keyboard!

Comment

I am the prime example of acting before thinking (and fat fingers). 11/4 is 2 3/4! Blahhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

You're right Paul, it is a GS400EZ, I saw the Z yesterday and thought it was a 7.
            So I'm an EZ rider? My friend who calls me Easy Steve will die when he hears this.

Comment

Working...
            X