Carbs, should I buy all.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs, should I buy all.....

I was completely lost until I started reading on this website, now I know what direction to head in, but I would like some advice from those who know. Just bought an 81 GS1100E with 4000 miles. (has been sitting for a while) Took it down to the local GS racers shop and had him clean up the carbs. It ran good for the first 40 or so miles, except a small stumble just off idle, then #3 started missing. (pipe colder, really black plug, etc.)
    Some miles later, # 2 started fouling, the plug was black just like #3. (plugs 1 & 4 look good) Went through all the electronics before finding this site so they are all good. I too, started getting gas in the oil and all that stuff that has been discussed already. I have already bought a new Pingel petcock valve and am getting ready to order new needle and seat assemblies for the carbs. At $40 per carb, ($160 total) I am trying to decide whether to keep these carbs or look for some aftermarket ones. Are there any good ones out there for a stock bike, or are the stock carbs good enough? Some performance mods are in the future, but not for a while. Thanks for any input, as I'm stuck riding and racing the old 84 Interceptor 'til the Suzi's running. (good, reliable bike, but no personality or power.)

Mike

Mike,

For $160 you should be able to pick up a good used set off of Ebay. I've seen some GSXR flatslides that go for less than that. They are very similar to the Mikuni RS flatslides and have accelerator pumps. Just make sure they are off an air-cooled model if you go that route.

To check the petcock pull the vacuum and fuel line loose and see if gas flows in the run position, not the prime position. If it does flow the petcock isn't working right.

Since the problem is on 2&3 you might want to consider the possibility of a weak coil. You can switch the leads that go into the coils so the 1&4 coil will fire 2&3 and vice versa. Just be sure to switch the plug wires around too.

Comment

Mike sounds like a carb problem to me with one bad plug showing then later another .If your mechanically inclined have a look at the carb rebuild section on this site . Just go through the steps as there layed out and you wont have any problems . Did it myself to a set of carbs that had sat for years with gas in them and worked out real well.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I am a mechanic but have just recently started really tearing into bikes. (I assembled the motor on my dragbike just recently.) I've been riding a long time but haven't had to do much work on my 84 Interceptor, other than clutch, fuel pump, and other basic maintenance. Where 2 & 3 were fouling, I immediately went towards the coil. We put some Dyna's on it and taylor wires but nothing changed, and we are getting good spark at the wires. After reading Q & A on this site before the format changed, and after noticing the gas in the oil and leaking from the airbox after sitting, I knew it was a combination of the petcock valve and the needle/seats in the carbs. We have had the carbs off 4 times, :x checking floats, diaphragms, needles, and anything else we could find, but could not see anything visibly wrong. We have even "bench leaked" the carbs and couldn't see anything, although we did not let them sit for very long. Although I'm getting good at pulling the carbs, I'm not going to put them and the tank back on until I know it is right! 8O I want to ride (the GS) Dammit!!!

Mike --- (at least I have another bike to hold me over)

Comment

Check my reponse to a question titled '84 GS1150ES Big Problem. I gave a description of how to check out the petcock. If you have any questions feel free to email me. This link might take you there. http://www.gsresources.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?t=256

Comment

The needle and seat are included in the typical carb repair kits, which I've found at Dennis Kirk for $25. Hardly a bargain at that price, but better than $40...
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Check my reponse to a question titled '84 GS1150ES Big Problem. I gave a description of how to check out the petcock. If you have any questions feel free to email me. This link might take you there. http://www.gsresources.com/_forum/viewtopic.php?t=256

I purchased a Pingel manual shut off valve with reserve. Even though I want to use the original valve for target practice, 8) I think I'll go through it and save it as a spare. Thanks, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
                The needle and seat are included in the typical carb repair kits, which I've found at Dennis Kirk for $25. Hardly a bargain at that price, but better than $40...
                Thanks for the info. I'll check Dennis Kirk out. (Unless I find a different set of carbs before then)

Mike.

Comment

Working...
                X