pilot jets setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot jets setting

Can anyone tell me how many turns I need to set my pilot jets at? This is on a 1982 GS650GL. Thanks in advance for your help!

IF you are talking about Jets inside the carbs.. they need to be tight... but if you are talking about the air screws between the carbs and the intake, a good starting point is 2 turns out from snug.. but you will have to adjust them from there once the bike will idle...

Comment

The general rule is set the for the highest idle then back in 1/4 turn. After a couple of turns your are ususally pretty well off the needle.

Comment

if your air screw is on the airbox side turn out to lean, on my 78 750 with new plugs i turned out 3 turns which was way lean but i would turn in a quarter turn until all the plugs looked right

Comment

I have set my pilot screws at one full turn from closed. Pilot screws are located at the bottom of the carb. I does not influence the idle mixture as descibed in another reply. They air screw is for the mixture and set while running. If your engine starts well when cold, you pilot is set right.

Comment

on my bike the air screw on the side works with the pilot jet that jet at the bottom has to do more with 1/4 to midrange.

Comment

This is the single most issue that has caused me great confusion. However, on my 78 GS750, with Mikuni round slides, here is what I have found. The pilot screws, underneath the carb by the floatbowl are accesable from outside. I have turned mine out by 2.5 turns. The bike runs rich, but it starts and it idles (albeit roughly). If I set these screws 1.5 turns out or less, then it will not idle, it hesitates when revving, and it will eventually stall. Obviously too weak. So my ideal setting must be between 1.5 and 2.5 turns out. Now, the air screws, located on the top of the carb by the intake ducts have been turned out by 2.25 turns. Any higher and the bike splutters when accelerating. The more I turn them in, the better the bike revs. Out leans, in richens and I am still experimenting with these screws. I always thought that the mixture screws either controlled air or fuel, but never both, my Mikunis appear to have both.
              So I beleive the following is true for Mikuni flatslides. The screws on the bottom effect idle, the screws on top effect up to 1/4 throttle. So I have done the following.
              1. Ensure air cleaner is good and rubbers are good.
              2. Ensure valve clearance are set, and plugs are good.
              3. Clean the carbs untill spotless.
              4. Make sure all jet sizes are correct and jets are clean
              5. Set floatbowls to correct height.
              6. Set clip on needle to middle position.
              7. Turn bottom screws and top screws out by 2 turns.
              8. Let the bike idle and observe throttle response and plug colour.
              9. Adjust the bottom screw to give correct mixture as indicated by no 8
              10. Ride the bike and observe throttle response up to 1/4 throttle i.e takeoff.
              11. Adjust the top screws if the throttle response is poor. In richens, out leans.
              12. Adjust the needle clip position for midrange mixture. Up one position at a time to lean, down a position to richen.
              13. Change the main jet to adjust full throttle mixture. (I don't need to)

r
              Does anybody have an opinion on my procedure. If so, I will genuinely be glad to hear it, these carbs are confusing the hell out of me.

Comment

Yoy should always find the correct main jet first before anything else.

Comment

Working...
                X