Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'84 GS 1150 ES BIG PROBLEMS!! Please help........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok here goes

Compression - 220 each cylinder
    Carburetors - new rubber plugs
    - new jet needles
    - new main jets (122)
    - diaphragms good
    - new needles and seats (float bowl)
    Exhaust - 4 into 1
    Coils - 2 white Dyna Coils
    gas in oil (caused by bad needles and seats)
    blue smoke

When I bought the bike in April it had lots of power now it doesn't. Starts fine, idles, but no power. Slides in carburetors are lifting.

I don't own a Clymer or Haynes so I needed to know how to test the Igniter Unit(CDI). I was also wondering if Dyna makes an Ignitor Unit(CDI) for my bike. I live in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada so if any Canucks out there know of any aftermarket CDI boxes that are available.
    Thanx very much for your help.

For starters you should be using the green Dyna coils. As for testing the igniter unit, remove plugs 1&2 and ground them to the head. Remove the rear, or right hand, plug on the igniter unit. The terminals to the rear of the unit that are one on top of the other controls 1&4 the two terminals towards the front of the bike one on top of the other control 2&3. With a multitester set at 1 ohm connect the + probe to the terminal on top of the rear set of terminals and the - probe to the one underneath the one to the rear of the bike. Plug number 1 should fire. Do the same for the other set of terminals and number 2 should fire.

Comment

Would not gas in the oil and blue smoke indicate shot rings?

I may have another stock CDI box if that is the problem.

I live in Brandon Manitoba but most of my family is in Saint John.

Comment

>Would not gas in the oil and blue smoke indicate shot rings?<

Could be a leaky diaphram in the petcock as well. With the motor off loosen the fuel line and with the petcock in the on or reserve position see if gas still flows. You should only get fuel flow with the petcock in prime position when the motor isn't running.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          >Would not gas in the oil and blue smoke indicate shot rings?<

Could be a leaky diaphram in the petcock as well. With the motor off loosen the fuel line and with the petcock in the on or reserve position see if gas still flows. You should only get fuel flow with the petcock in prime position when the motor isn't running.
          Even with a good diaphram in the petcock it could still leak. There is a spring rod, for want of a better description that pushes on the diaphram in the prime position allowing fuel to flow. If it is adjusted to the wrong length it will let fuel flow with the petcock in any position even with the motor off. You may need to play with the length of that rod if the petcock is letting fuel flow when the motor is off.

That rod has about a half loop of spring built into it. If you find fuel is flowing at all times you need to adjust the length of the rod or the diaphram is leaking. Disassemble the petcock if needed. Be careful and pull the guts straight out or you'll mangle that rod. One side of the diaphram has a spring on it and the side with the position lever has the spring rod. Play with the length of that rod until you get it to where when you suck on the fuel line with the petcock in the on position you get no flow. In the prime postion it should flow when sucked on. If the petcock is the culprit and you are getting fuel in your oil I would take a close look at the diaphram. If it's leaking you'll suck raw fuel through the vacuum line straight into number 2 cylinder when running.

Comment

Billy all I can say is you know your stufffff take care . Richard

Comment

I'm going to go way out into left field here. The only practical way to know the slides are lifting is to remove the airbox and start the engine. Did you leave the airbox off for the test ride? My experience with taking a stock bike (1983 GS1100G) and removing the airbox resulted in just what you describe; i.e., starts, idles, no power. I admit it would not explain the blue smoke, though.

Comment

from waht your compression reads, your blue smoke is probably coming from the diluted oil, the gas has thinned it out so much it just slips by the rings. I would change that ASAP!, if it still smokes after that, then it is probably valve seals and/or guides.

Comment

Working...
                X