Oil gauge question for Dan Grimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil gauge question for Dan Grimmer

Dan, in the old forum we had a discussion on oil pressure. You went through several gauges before finding one that would read the range you needed. Seems like I remember you got them from W.W. Granger. I am looking for the 0-15 PSI range (I know you elected to go with total flow to the top end on your oiling kit, I am going with partial flow). I have contacted Ashcroft and they say that they make the gauge but I would have to order (this is no joke, they really said this) 100 gauges in that range and that they would not sell me just one. At $61 a piece that is a little too much to ask for. Grangers does not have one on their internet site. Does your local Grangers carry this or do you know of some other supplier?

Hap

Not me Hap...

Must have been another Dan. I did inquire as to oil temp, but never oil pressure. Sorry.

Comment

Hap

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO USE A TOP OILER KIT BESIDES THE NEED TO TINKER AND IMPROVE

Comment

Re: Hap

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
        WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO USE A TOP OILER KIT BESIDES THE NEED TO TINKER AND IMPROVE
        Every time I tore into the motor I would look at the oiling system and ponder about what would make it more reliable. Everything pointed towards doing something about the oiling of the cams and rockers. With these items operating off of plain bearing surfaces that can never get too much oil it just made sense to get a top end oiling kit even if my cams are not real radical in their grind.

Hap
        Oh, and did I mention that it looks trick as hell?

Comment

In fact Scotty, I believe you took part in that thread discussion...do you remember who it was who had the high oil pressure that pegged several gauges?

Hap

Comment

top oiler

would you explain what has to be done please--i remember the discussion but not who it was--i see your web page is totally gone--now what are you up to--i will need the link to change my links page

Comment

Re: top oiler

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
              would you explain what has to be done please--i remember the discussion but not who it was--i see your web page is totally gone--now what are you up to--i will need the link to change my links page
              Try the link below:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

It is under index.html on the page builder site so that I do not have to type in a bunch of numbers to find it. I am still working on it. Something happened to the old page.

Hap

Comment

Auto Zone sells a guage 0-15psi, it is for fuel, designed to be mounted on a carb line, but should work for oil pressure too. It is about 1 inch in diameter. Just a possibility...

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                  Auto Zone sells a guage 0-15psi, it is for fuel, designed to be mounted on a carb line, but should work for oil pressure too. It is about 1 inch in diameter. Just a possibility...
                  I have looked at the dry gauges - unfortunately they do not hold up for more than about a week before the needle stays at 5 PSI even when the motor is not running. The vibration, temperature, and pulsation must kill them pretty quick. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hap

Comment

pressure gauges

Hap

Try mcmaster.com. They have 7 pages of pressure gauges in their catalog. Should be something that will work for you. Where did you get your top oiler, and do they have a website?
                    JP
                    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                    1992 Concours
                    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                    2007 FJR

Comment

Re: pressure gauges

Originally posted by jpaul
                      Hap

Try mcmaster.com. They have 7 pages of pressure gauges in their catalog. Should be something that will work for you. Where did you get your top oiler, and do they have a website?
                      I got it from Schnitz Racing. They do have a website.

They are on par with Murdoch Racing, another good company and Scotty's favorite. Murdoch can also supply you with the kit, along with APE, Cope, and several others.

Hap

Comment

Why not just put a 750 oil pump in your motor? the 750 is a plain bearing motor and its a direct bolt in . And if its not then I am going to have a talk with Uncle Remus when visits my cabbage patch because he told me this bolt in alone would let you run a high pressure guage and actually move the needle.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Pickette
                          Why not just put a 750 oil pump in your motor? the 750 is a plain bearing motor and its a direct bolt in . And if its not then I am going to have a talk with Uncle Remus when visits my cabbage patch because he told me this bolt in alone would let you run a high pressure guage and actually move the needle.
                          I have a 750 oil pump gear in my bike already. It is not so much the pressure on the 1100 as it is the flow. The 750 has higher pressure due to more flow restriction in the oil system, thus supplying greater pressure to the plain bearings on the 750 motor. This only applies to the 4-valve 750 motor because the two valve 750 motor had a roller bearing bottom end like the 1100 has.

The 750 pump gear has 29 teeth and the 1100 pump gear has 33 teeth so with the 750 gear you are turning the pump about 12% faster thus increasing oil volume about the same amount. The oil pumps themselves are identical, even have the same part number.

With the 750 gear I still only run about 10 PSI on startup and aroung 4 to 5 when the motor is warm. When I last rebuilt the motor I checked oil pump tolerences and they were well within specs.

Hap :P

Comment

Hap, I'm the guy who kept the local Grainger outlet in the black for gage
                            business. Sorry I didn't answer sooner--didn't read this particular post,
                            until today. If you need a Grainger p/n, get back to me--I have their
                            catalog in my office.

Here's the deal on the gages; if you are running the stock oiling system
                            & are tapping into the oil gallery at the back of the case, the 0-15 will
                            probably be alright, even with cold oil on startup. If you are running the
                            topend oiling kit and tap into the tee connection for the oil lines, you will
                            see pressures well over 100 psig on startup, even with 10w-40 oil in hot
                            weather (trust me, on this). If you are running the topend kit & tap into
                            the case gallery, you will see lower pressures, due to the fact that the
                            oil has already been past the cam bearings & is headed to the crank.
                            Since I elected to tap into the tee, I'm not sure what exact pressure you
                            would see at the case gallery.

As far as vibration trashing the gage, that has not been a problem for me.
                            The gage I use is liquid filled/damped--I also have the gage mounted on
                            the top triple tree, instead of bolted directly to the engine.

Comment

Well buy me books and send me to school ! Hap thats good information to know. Take care this weekin and dust a harley for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X