Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil on left brake disc (and pads, obviously)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil on left brake disc (and pads, obviously)

Well, I just cleaned it and took it round the country (the Netherlands are small...) for a spin. What gives? Again, disc is full of blackish oil and braking isnt too spiffy anymore either. Anyone got suggestions on the origin of the spill. Because of the colour I dont think its dot4. Im inclined to think it fork oil, but no suspension difficulties have occured.

It's a strange thing.

Oil On Brake Discs

MY OIL COOLER HAD A SMALL LEAK AND DID THAT TO ME A COUPLE OF TIMES IT SQUIRTED THE OIL OUT OF ONE OF THE HOSES ONCE IN A WHILE- I WONT TELL YOU ABOUT THE TIME IT DID IT AND SET THE BIKE ON FIRE 8O

Comment

Most likely fork oil, especially if you have anti-dive units on the fork legs. Check the bolts to make sure they are tight. If they are you may need new o-rings. The top part where the hydraulic line fits isn't the problem. It's the rest of the unit that actually attaches to the fork leg. There are a couple of small o-rings between the anti-dive unit and the fork leg.

Comment

You won't run into suspension problems, under normal driving conditions, even if the fork oil is low. As long as you have air in the forks. Clean it up really good and take a spin around the block. Stop and check if you can find where it is leaking. If not ride some more. If you still can't, wrap a clean paper towel around where you suspect it might be leaking. Secure the towel and take a quick trip. Look for oil on the towel and check that area. The towel will sopp up the oil rather than letting it drain away or fly off.

Comment

If the fork oil is black it could stand to be changed anyway. Fork oil is one of the most overlooked maintenance items on bikes. Dirty fork oil leads to premature seal leaks and bushing wear. After you've done it once it really isn't a big deal to remove the fork legs from the triple clamps, flush them out with some kerosene, let them drain, replace the oil, then reassemble the fork.

Comment

slowpoke

please tell us about the fire

Comment

Working...
            X