Fork oil level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil level?

I want to change the fork oil in my '78 GS1000 but dont have a manul of any kind for this one. Does any one in GS land have one? Could someone please tell me what the oil level should be for this particular bike?

I DO have the manual for my old 82 750T. I am asumming that the removal and rebuild will be close enough between the two that I can pretty much follow that?

Re: Fork oil level?

Originally posted by Rake Pierce
    I want to change the fork oil in my '78 GS1000 but dont have a manul of any kind for this one. Does any one in GS land have one? Could someone please tell me what the oil level should be for this particular bike?

I DO have the manual for my old 82 750T. I am asumming that the removal and rebuild will be close enough between the two that I can pretty much follow that?

I am curious how it is done..I too need to do this....

Comment

I don't know.I have an 80 1000G (8.5 oz. fork oil capacity, 5.5in. or 144mm level), but I would probably invest in a clymer. They come in handy sometimes.You might want to call your local shop.They will usually tell you for no charge.

Comment

Re: Fork oil level?

Originally posted by Alwyn678
        Originally posted by Rake Pierce

I am curious how it is done..I too need to do this....
        Some forks have drains at the bottom of the legs. When they do you remove the screws and push the fork up and down to force the oil out. On forks without drains you have to remove the legs from the triple clamp and take the caps off. Plunge the tubes in and out to remove the oil with the legs held upside down. Remove the springs first. If it were me I'd run some kerosene through them to wash them out with the springs out. After removing the old oil fill them to within 4 or 5 inches of the top extended. Then replace the cap and plunge the legs to circulate the kerosene. Remove the cap and plunge inverted to remove the dirty kerosene. Do this a few times to get all the crap out of the dampers and other parts. Be sure to clean up the springs too. Let the legs sit upside down for a while to drain out the kerosene. When you reassemble tighten the axle first and work your way up.

Comment

for a 78 750 you should add 6 ounces, dont know if the 1000 forks are differnt

Comment

fork oil

the book i have for gs1000E fork oil 259cc /euro 241cc other markets
            oil level 110 for euro 140 for other markets

Comment

Working...
            X