Using LED Tail/Stop light bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using LED Tail/Stop light bulbs

I just changed my 85 1150ES over to led bulbs and really like the additional brightness. The only problem is that the light sensor sees the bulbs' lower resistance as a sign that a regular incandescent bulb has been blown out and my "Tail/Stop" warning light is always on.

Like I said, I like the safety aspect of the LED bulbs. Does anyone know specs on what kind of resistance the light module needs to see? I don't have any problem going to Radio Shack and wiring in resistors as needed if I only knew what to get.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Bennett

Scotty and Hap can help you with this. Scotty, Slowpoke, has done this and Hap is an electrical engineer.

Comment

Get out your Multi Meter and check the ohmage on the original bulb.. Then do the same to the new led light. figure the difference... R1(original)-R2(LED)=Rx.. go to Radio Schack and get a resistor that is equal to Rx and put in line with wiring, this will correct the indicators Ohm sensing ability...

Correct me if I am wrong.. But I am also an EE..... and this is just my reccommendation.. haven't actually done the conversion on my bike but am planning on it...

Comment

Dan I need a picture of your bike for my website.

email me hankv@westman.wave.ca

Comment

Checking the ohms sounds resonable to me. I'm no EE either, just tons of experience working radar/weapons systems on fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by HankV
            Dan I need a picture of your bike for my website.

email me hankv@westman.wave.ca
            As soon as I get a chance to take a new picture I'll send it your way.

Nice job on the website, by the way.

I never could figure out why Canada always gets the best looking paint schemes. You guys must have better taste or something.

I'm thinking that the model numbers were different between the US and Canada. Here they were 1150ES followed by the letter for the year. That makes my 85 a GS1150ESF.

All the fairing models in Canada were EF, right?

Dan

Comment

Jeremiah

WHAT WATTAGE RESISTOR SHOULD HANK USE

Comment

Canadian Bikes

I THINK THAT THEY GET THE BEST COLORS ON THEIR BIKES IN CANADA TO COVER THE FACT THAT THE CANADIAN MODELS HAVE LESS HORSE POWER

Comment

One thing to consider, adding resistors kinda defeats the purpose of getting the LED's in the first place--electrical savings ( 8/23watts vs. 500 milliwatts) There are electrical flashers out there that will flas regardless of the load. try those first before cutting any wiring...

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                    One thing to consider, adding resistors kinda defeats the purpose of getting the LED's in the first place--electrical savings ( 8/23watts vs. 500 milliwatts) There are electrical flashers out there that will flas regardless of the load. try those first before cutting any wiring...
                    I didn't really care about the electrical savings. As I mentioned, the LED lights are a BUNCH brighter than a normal bulb.

It's not a flasher issue, either. These are two bulbs that are the tail/stop lights for my bike. The turn signals are separate on stalks and flash fine. I'm just trying to find a clean way to get my tail/stop warning light turned off.

When I get a change to ohm the bulbs and figure out how I'm going to get the resistors in line without cutting any wires, I'll let everyone know.

I like to keep things bone stock, so I'm going to have to find a way that doesn't do any permanent changes.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as jeremiah but it suddenly ocured to me that the led tail light is going to have alot higher resistance, and adding resistors is not going to work.
                      also using a ohm meter to check the resistance of the incadesent bulb will probably give you a incorect reading due to the low level current suplied by the meter not causing the element to illuminate.
                      your only option may be to disable the warning light.

Comment

As far as where to add or correct the load issue, go to the connector... under the seat. Follow the wire from the tail light and you will find the connector.. As far as the resistance. if the sensor is expecting a certain load, the only way to keep things simple is to impedance match the line....

Ohm the two bulbs out or better yet... what wattage is the original OEM bulb and what is the wattage lof the LED lamp.. we can figure resistance from there????

there is always away!!!!

Comment

Resistance

YOU MAY ADD RESISTANCE IN SERIES OR RESISTANCE IN PARALELL AS NEEDED DEPENDING ON THE WATTAGE AND RESISTANCE OF THE NEW BULBS--BUT SOMEONE HAS TO MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT THE WATTAGE OF THE RESISTORS TO USE---LAST COMMENT IS DO YOU KNOW ANY ONE WITH A DECADE RESISTANCE BOX--?????????
                          IF YOU REDUCE THE RESISTANCE OF THE BULB, THE CURRENT FLOW WILL BE INCREASED AND EITHER CAUSE THE BLINKING TO SPEED UP OR STOP---IF YOU INCREASE THE RESISTANCE OF THE BULB, THE CURRENT FLOW WILL BE REDUCED AND THE BLINKING WILL SLOW DOWN OR STOP--- IN THE CASE WHERE THE RESISTANCE OF THE BULB IS TOO HIGH RESISTANCE IN PARALELL OF THE PROPER VALUE SHOULD CAUSE THE FLASHER TO SEE A LOWER RESISTANCE AND ACT AS IT SHOULD WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU HAP E=IXR- WATTAGE OF THE RESISTOR BEING TOO LOW WILL POSSIBLY CAUSE FIRE
                          I THINK I GOT IT???????? AS ALWAYS CORRECTIONS PLEASE

Comment

An Afterthought

THEN WILLTHE LED BULBS BE AS BRIGHT--PERHAPS PLAYING WITH A DIFERENT FLASHER IS THE ANSWER ((PROPFLUX01 SAID THAT FIRST AS I RECALL))

Comment

we are not playing with the turn signals.. only the tail light... always on and the second element is switched on via brake lever.. therefore nothing needs to be done on the turn signals.. just the tail light.. the problem is the indicator on the gauge cluster is reading a low or high resistance in accordance to its tolerance.. we must match that tolerance.. this will cause the indicator lamp to go out..

Comment

Working...
                              X