Fork oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil Change

While on the subject of fork oil, whats the best way to replentish the oil with the forks installed? I have the drains, so thats not a problem, but dont want to take the cap off and try to compress that spring back in since there is really no 'socket head' on it, just the 2 air valves. any suggestions?

Put the bike on its centerstand and raise the front end. This will extend the springs making the job easier.

Comment

You will probably have to take off the handlebars, and do NOT take off both caps at once (unless you put a jack under the motor and take all the weight off the frant wheel), right Dom?

Comment

don

i know how dom feels on that one, i had my bike fall over a few weeks ago cause dummy me had the front tire on the ground, man did i ever jump out of the way fast

Comment

Well, I found the lazy mans way to do it. I took the hose off from a bicycle pump, got me a 60CC syringe at the local feed store, inscrewed the airvalve core from the fork, drained it, then hooked up the hose, filled the syringe, and 30 minutes later, both were done! the reason I didn't go further is all I wanted to do was to replace to 10w fork oil that was put in while the forks were resealed, to the 15W that Suzi recommends. the change made a difference in handling, much better now!

Comment

Working...
          X