regulator/rectifier question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regulator/rectifier question?

Has anyone ever had a regulator go bad and the stator be good. I did the test using the stator papers and the stator tested good on all tests. When i did the diode test for the regulator i didnt get any readings at all. Now i have to wait about a week to get a regulator

A common fault amongst GS is the crappy regulator that suzuki made, a few people have put honda ones on the GS. One of the post here tells you which one I will see iff I can find that old post for you.

Comment

Any bike I've owned has had the combined regulator/rectifier unit. A faulty one of those can take the stator with it and visa versa but it's certainly possible for one of them to fail without damaging the other. I've had r/r and stator failures where the other component wasn't harmed.

A faulty r/r on my bike would leave me with no battery charge to start the bike or with a sudden stall in traffic and no battery left to restart. Bump starting a shaft drive is no fun, believe me. If your stator tests okay, replace the reg and you should be okay.

I fitted a volt meter (a cheap one meant for car use). It's not very accurate but if something fails and the battery is losing charge, you'll at least be aware of a voltage drop and you can head for home or friendly territory before the thing dies on you.

Comment

I had the same problem. Fit an aftermarket regulator/rectifier unit, you will not be dissapointed. Three wires to the stator and two to the battery, its simple to install and will not let you down.

Comment

I had my stator go out, for whatever reason, and I changed it out with a cheapo (well, relatively cheap) stator. Didn't mess with the R/R. About 2 months later, the replacement stator went out. This time I just buckled down and bought the Electrex stator and R/R. Like MadHatter said, 3 wires to the stator and 2 to the battery. Soldered all connections.

Comment

Stator

Interesting reading here but I am idiot on all things under the bike. I have the bright red battery light on my gs1100E that will go out only if i put it on a battery charger for several hours or ride the bike hard for an hour! I dont know a rectifier from a pacifier..so what do I tell my $75 /hr mechanic to replace for me before my next long journey????????
            Dave in Houston

Comment

Re: Stator

Originally posted by the3hollingers
              Interesting reading here but I am idiot on all things under the bike. I have the bright red battery light on my gs1100E that will go out only if i put it on a battery charger for several hours or ride the bike hard for an hour! I dont know a rectifier from a pacifier..so what do I tell my $75 /hr mechanic to replace for me before my next long journey????????
              Dave in Houston
              I would think your mechanic would tell you what needs to be replaced. Surely he would troubleshoot it and not just replace parts. :?

Comment

Go to the new reg pages and look up Richard Picette in North Carolina print this page have him follow the stuff about the regulater rec. You may not need to replace any wires just replace and reconnect as necessary Dont let him tell you hooking the reg . up direct to the stator will damage it it wont ...mines been connected like this for years

Comment

This all sounds much more complex than it is - if your mechanic isn't up to speed on GS electrics (I dunno, I suppose Suzuki only train people now on current models) either find someone who does know about them or get yourself a manual, look up the test procedure on this site, buy a decent multimeter to test things and go to it.

I did the latter years ago after I realised that a large and reputable dealership were just throwing parts at my bike in the hope that they'd eventually fix the lack of charging. That's electrical charging. They knew all about the monetary kind.

Comment

Point well taken it does sound more complicated than it really is . any body that is mechanical apt will be able to do this work If they are given the information onthis web site

Comment

i`d like to know how to test just the regulator for older gs`s with seprate rectifer/reg anyone know?

Comment

Rick

I THINK THIS COVERS THE CHECKOUT PROCEEDURE

Comment

stator

I would think your mechanic would tell you what needs to be replaced. Surely he would troubleshoot it and not just replace parts.

You are kidding right?? 8O This is Houston!
                          Good news though..Contacted the person I bought bike from and he has a record of maintenance..he replaced stator in 5/2000. Does this help me in my search for the end of the blaring red light? DH

Comment

Kiddin just a little. Houston or not, it's pretty tough finding a mechanic you can trust especially working on old bikes like ours. Good luck!

Comment

Houston

I know that's right...I have found a child prodigy here who is a third generation mechanic but mostly on Harleys. He is 23 years old and can put a bike together blind folded. The prob is getting him to stay in the shop for more than an hour! Youth is wasted on the young! I just dont trust anybody with my GS. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X