stumped ! please help .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stumped ! please help .

I purchased a 1984 GS 1150 for $700.00. It was cosmetically challenged but runs and is road worthy. I restored it completely but it has a buzzing vibration that starts around 3500 rpm and gets worse as the rpm increases. It was there when I bought it and it's still here after checking things like motor mounts, clutches, crankshaft, balance of pistons, wheel bearings, chain and sprocket etc. There is a small amount of axial play in the clutch basket springs. Could this cause this sort of problem? The bike looks beautiful now but I don't ride it because of this vibration. Any suggestions, help or people to contact that might know would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. hotrod.

The 1150's are pretty notorious for being buzzy. Dink, Hank V, and a few of the others can probably help you with your problem.

Comment

Buzzing

FOAM OR JELL GRIPS-PADDED OR JELL GLOVES-INTERNAL HANDLE BAR WEIGHTS OR A HANDLE BAR SNAKE-SOME PEOPLE FILL THEIR BARS WITH LEAD SHOT AND SILICONE-ONE GUY WHO DIED AWHILE BACK USED TO RIDE WITH NO HANDS A LOT

Comment

thanks for the replies. this is definately not an normal vibration. something is causing it. Maybe when i called it a buzz it was misleading. This is a high frequency heavy vibration the kind you know you have to find out what it is. Any more ideas out there.

Comment

Hotrod , I had a problem just like this but it also made a noise with the vibration.I have a friend that races the 1150 and they have a problem keeping the starter bolts for the starter clutch from braking or backing out. I've repalced mine twice and the second tack welded them in so far so good. This starter clutch is hooked on the crank on left side

behind the stator Jim lash6065mchsi.com

Comment

When you are riding the bike and it starts to vibrate, pull in the clutch and see if it goes away while free wheeling. let us know what happens.

Comment

Are the buzzing and the vibrations from the same item? Possibly not related. Many different things on a GS1150 can vibrate and/or buzz.

Check the handle bar weights to make sure they are the right ones. The 84s were larger then the 86s but I know people who have replaced them.

Also check your starter cover, I have 2 GS1150 and both of them the starter cover buzzed.

Another thing if it is an ES or EF check the mounting bar inside the fairing to ensure that it is not loosing up.

Also there should be weights under the front pegs, with out them it will vibrate the crap out of your feet.

There are more things to check. Let us know if any of this helps.

Comment

jim please describe the symptoms you had when the starter clutch bolts were loose. Also I couldnt get my stator off. I know there is a special tool but what does it do. the threads on my stator were all damaged from before i got the bike........1980gs1100l the vibration decreases to acceptable at any rpm under around 3500.......... HankV This vibration is related to the speed of the motor and causes every thing to rattle including my teeth. lol. This is far heavier a vibration than a normal bike buzz. Please keep the ideas coming and thanks again.

Comment

1150 vibration

My 1150 vibrates like an old Kawasaki 3 cyl 2 stroke . I've tried everything I can think of, but haven't found the problem. The best I could do was weights in both ends of both handlebars, foam grips' & vibration dampeners for the mirrors. This doesn't fix the problem, just helps to hide it. Good thing about getting older, rarely ride over 3500 or 4000 rpm. If anyone could tell what causes the vibration, please help. I still think Suzuki knew the 1150's were going to vibrate, that's why thev put rubber motor mounts, and vibration dampeners in the handlebars and on the foot pegs

Comment

I was reading my manual and noticed that it said that the timing is at 10 degrees up to 3500 rpm and it is advanced to 34 degrees (I think) after 3500 rpm. This is also where i start to notice the awful vibration. I wonder if there is a connection. Any input ?

Comment

Just a thought - this subject was on the old forum too and someone (can't remember who) suggested looking at the front engine mounts and replacing the rubber bushing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Rich. Yes, they have been replaced with the brand new ones. Heres what I have done so far. Stripped bike to frame and completely refurbished or replaced every nut bolt, bracket etc. Sandblast frame and have professionally painted along with all the body parts. Tore engine down to have crank checked (because of vibration) re-worked and cleaned cylinder head, honed bores and new piston rings. Balance pistons. Replaced the part of the clutch that has a steel collar pushed in it ( it was loose). Replaced bearings and seals in swing arm, steering head and wheels. The two areas that I haven't worked on are the rest of the clutch. I should but ran out of money..... and patience. Also anything under the stator, because I couldn't get it off. Yep, there she sits, pretty as can be (I paid extra for a top quality paint job). I now have $2700.00 Can. invested. Anyone in Ontario Canada that wants to carry on with this bike, I will sell it for that ($2700.00 Can.) but would prefer to trade for a road worthy large enduro. I also have a 1985 parts bike that would be extra.

Comment

check your balance shaft in the motor the crankshaft gear and the balancer shaft gear both have one tooth marked and they should allign

Comment

looks like some one has been digging deep in the archives!
                            from may of 2002!!

PS: the GS1150 does not have ballance shafts

Comment

oops must have missed the type of bike

Comment

Working...
                              X