carb settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb settings

Hi there, Is there a way to setup the carbs to a standard setting. the reason im asking is due to the fact that i have made a mess of the carbs by screwing the screws for setting the carb all the way in. (i misunderstood my frends instructions and now dont know how to set them up. - DOH!!!!) I have a GS1000 with 28" carbs with a motad exhaust.

Can anybody help????

Also can i change the carbs to a different type ie gsx or something similar?

cheers
    R

carb settings

I am not sure of your carb setup, but on my 78 GS750 I have mikuni round slides. They have air screws located on top, on the inlet side and fuel screws located underneath by the floatbowl. For the air screws, back them out from bottom by 1.5 turns. Then "IN" will richen the mixture and "OUT" will weaken the mixture. For the fuel screws back them out by 1.5 turns then "IN" weakens the mixture and "OUT" richens the mixture. Its a slow process so be patient. A good indication of correct settings is the colour of your plugs. They should be a tan colour. Also, give the throttle a quick blip to about 4000 rpm. If it instantly settles back to idle, your mixture is correct. If it hangs above idle then slowly settles your mixture is too weak. If it drops below idle then slowly rises (or even stalls) your mixture is too rich. This is a very rough indication and you will have to ride it to see the effects but it is enough to get you back in the right ball park.

Comment

i thought if you rev it fast and it wants to stumble real bad that ment it is to lean because not enough fuel to match the air flow.

Comment

Indeed, if you rev it and it isn't crisp and responsive you may well have a weak mixture, but you might also have a high misfire rate on one or more plugs, or another ignition problem. Start the engine with a plug removed and then rev it, you will see it be hesitant. My "rich" or "lean" test in my last post is correct.

Comment

i fixed my stumbling problem last night it was to rich so i put new plugs and backed out on the air screws 3 turns let it run then checked, i went in 1 quarter turn evertime till the plugs were tan it revs like a mad bike now

Comment

MadHatter - In your instructions to set the air/fuel mixture on a '78 GS750, you mention to back the fuel screws on the bottom out to 1 1/2 turns. I have been working on my '77GS750 and I have the fuel screws backed out to about 1/5 a turn. Is this too far in? It seems to run good, but the plugs show it to be running rich. I have backed the air mixture screws out to try to correct this. I hope this is right. Please comment.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X