JC Whitney Air PODs??? Need opinion!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JC Whitney Air PODs??? Need opinion!!!!

I am working on a GS750E and I am trying to do things to keep the cost down.. Has anyone ever used the PODs that JC Whitney sells??? IF so what is the opinion on performance?? :twisted:

I've got the same question. For my 78 GS750 with a borked airbox.

Comment

I modified the intake on my 1980 GS750E, similar to a pod. I took the air box and filter off, and got a regular cone style filter. I used a muffler coupling (about 2") and stuck it into the filter opening. then used the stock rubber coupling from the orig air box, and put the two together. It's like one giant pod, still fits under the seat( barely) and cost me around thirteen bucks at parts america. the pods you get from jcw might be more free flowing, though. hope it helps, Dominick.......

Comment

I have been looking for different parts and JC whitney and Dennis Kirk both have good products it's just that for $50 I can get 4 pods from JC and that is a better deal at this time for me.. BUT still, I am willing to listen to anyones opinion.....on this and any other subject.....Plus if I can save a few dollars, that means I can get my new Header quicker... Budgets, don't you just hate em...

Comment

I tried pods (K&N) on my 850 without much success. I could never get it to run just right. It would stumble around 4500 to 5000 RPMs. I was told and/or read some where that the pods (at least K&N) allow a much higher volume of air to pass than the stock air box. Short of rejetting, I couldn't figure a way to get it to run right. So, I went back to the stock airbox and she runs fantastic. I stuck the pods onto my 83 KAW GPz750 and that poor handling piece of doody loves them.

Comment

i have the unis seem fine to me.

Comment

J.c.whitney Air Pods???

I HAVE 1980 850G I RESTORED 6 MONTHS AGO.THE BIKE RAN LIKE CRAP UNTIL I INSTALLED AIR FILTER & AIR BOX.INSTALLING LOW RESTRICTION FILTERS WILL PROBABLY GIVE THE SAME RESULTS UNTIL YOU REJET THE CARBS.THAT COULD COST ABIT BEFORE YOU GET IT RIGHT & THEN THERES THE LABOR & PARTS AVAILABILITY.I'VE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM W/PAST BIKES BUT THIS ONE WAS A DIFFERENT STORY.FINALLY I TALKED TO AN OLD SUZUKI MECHANIC & HE TOLD ME IT WOULDN'T RUN RIGHT UNTIL I HAD THE AIR FILTER & AIR BOX INSTALLED.RUNS GREAT NOW. 8)

Comment

Pod Filters

SAY HERB
                WERE YOU RUNNING THE BIKE IN AN UN MODIFIED CONDITION--IE. STOCK EXKAUST ETC. AND JUST HAD THE AIR BOX OFF WITH OUT FILTERS

Comment

I pretty much got the same advice from a old timer Suzuki mech, who I think tuned GSs back in the middle ages. I was warned that running pods would cause a problem. So, did I listen to this fountain of knowledge? Nooooooooooooooooooo. Should have!

Comment

do what you want but beware of jetting issues

I would stay with the stock box unless you want to tinker with the bike a bit. You should ask yourself why you want pods. I like em when I have to pull the carbs as it makes that much easier but jetting can get expensive too.

Comment

I just saw these on whitney yesterday and thought "What a great idea!". I immediatley called my mechanic and he said no way unless I want to re-jet...

Comment

Pods will cause a problem with jetting

I have an '81 GS850G and purchased the pods from JCW to replace a shot airbox. It will run up to around 4.5 to 5k before the mix becomes so lean that it can rev no farther. I am now in search of another stock airbox instead of screwing around with jetting. My advice is also - stick with the stock airbox if you can.

Comment

New Air Filter Element

Any ideas for a new but cost effective air filter element?? I need one for a stock air box that will meet factory spec and functions as an OEM part..

Comment

Uni makes a replacement filter for your stock air box. Price is between $13 and $18 bucks, depending on model. As long as you don't modify the box or run without the lid you shouldn't need to rejet.
                            Axel

Comment

Re: New Air Filter Element

Originally posted by Jeremiah
                              Any ideas for a new but cost effective air filter element?? I need one for a stock air box that will meet factory spec and functions as an OEM part..
                              I can't get stock filters here....waited two full months for back ordered Suzuki parts, and also have an order for an OEM from someone else....still on order

Gotta ride...need filter. Solution:
                              3/8 inch foam carpet underpad. (must be straight foam/all one colour, not the stuff that has mixed pieced glued together)

No guarantee on meeting factory spec, but it is cost effective.
                              Works for me.
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X