Valve / cam cover gasket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve / cam cover gasket removal

Yeargh! I'm working on cleaning off the old gasket which has cemented itself to the cam cover as well as the head. I'm using the permatex spray-on gasket remover stuff, but there are some really caked-on cooked-on chunks (especially around the cover bolt holes).

Any tips?

Or, any estimates about how many applications of gasket remover I can expect? I'm thinking it's gonna take about one application for about every 2 years that old gasket was stuck there.

--Mitch

I am afraid my method is a little harsh, but it does work if you are carefull. I used a brand new, VERY sharp small wood chisel, laid it flat on the cover sufrace and then pushed against the stuck gasket. It got right in there and peeled ALL the old stuff off. If you do it this way, be very carefull, the head is only made of soft metal. Good luck.

Comment

I've had good luck using a razor blade pressed very flat against the surface. Keep it as flat as possible so it doesn't scrape away any metal. Polish it up with emery cloth, very lightly.

Comment

Ah, wood chisel. Good idea. I ended up getting bored/frustrated and gently used a razor blade (because I had one handy). Just got it buttoned back up last night, and we'll see if it leaks any oil.

On the plus side, all my valves should be within tolerance now.

--Mitch

Comment

FWIW
          If you coat both sides of the new gasket liberally with motor oil before reassembly, the next time it needs removed it will usually come off in one re-usable piece.

Comment

I use an idea similar to the wood chisel I use a sharp putty knife I am in the process of rebuilding my top end and used the putty knife to remove the old gasket works well.

Comment

Working...
            X