hand brake lighting switch sticking....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand brake lighting switch sticking....

On my '80 GS750 E, The switch that activates the brake light under the the lever keeps sticking on me, keeping the brake light on all the time. For now I have taken the small slide piece out, and temporarily corrected the problem, but now I have no light when using the front brake. Anyone else have this problem or perhapse a solution to it?? any help would be great, thanks, Dominick......

Re: hand brake lighting switch sticking....

Originally posted by dominick
    On my '80 GS750 E, The switch that activates the brake light under the the lever keeps sticking on me, keeping the brake light on all the time. For now I have taken the small slide piece out, and temporarily corrected the problem, but now I have no light when using the front brake. Anyone else have this problem or perhapse a solution to it?? any help would be great, thanks, Dominick......

Dominick, your switch is a very delicate mechanism. Don't even try to fix it; you'll end up picking miniscule pieces off your garage floor. Replace the switch with a new one from your friendly Suzuki dealer. I usually get maybe 3 or 4 years' riding out of a front brake switch before it stops switching.

Nick

Comment

If you can get it back together use some contact cleaner,or WD-40.If not a new switch should only cost around 12 bucks. :mrgreen:

Comment

My brake switch is still orignial. It sat in my greatgrandpa's basement in Tn. For 13 yrs. WE had the same problem. We took it apart and cleaned it becasue the master cylinder had a leak and gummed it up. Just watch out and make sure the return spring and the slide don't sprout legs and disapear. We just wiped them down and sprayed them with wd-40. Works perfectly now.

Comment

my front brake switch works pretty good but it is worn out i will replace it with one of those in line pressure switches.

Comment

Just go to your dealer ship and buy or get them to order the little plunger and the spring If you have not taken it apart its not hard to fix use dielectric grease on the plunger its worked on mine from 93 till present Usually what happens is it will get hot when it sticks and will need replaceing good luck

Comment

the brass contacts in my switch are like half gone, theres no fixin that

Comment

Describe your master cylinder is it round or rectanglar? I have a couple of rectanglar ones in .storage barn

Comment

If you don't care about the clutch kill switch, its the same as the brake sw., you could swap 'em and wire together the clutch kill leads

Comment

hand brake light

the contact assembly(contact,spring,holder) is still available from suzuki Make sure that it is assembled correctly, it will stick if assembled wrong. Look at the contact holder and you will see the actuator is oblong and operated by the brake lever.

Comment

Be careful with install

From the sounds of it, if you have the square unit you only need to replace the little mechanically activated switch that sits below the master cylinder, and is actuated by a piece running from the switch to a slot in the brake lever. A note from experience - be careful reinstalling the new one. If the brake lever or the switch piece is not in the right position, you can snap it off in seconds. Just be sure to have a nice fit when you bolt it back on.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                      X