Wheels/rims!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels/rims!!!!!!!!!

Looking to replace my factory RIMs but would like to put another set of factory RIMS off another suzuki... Can I put a 17inch front tire on a 1983 GS750E???

Any help would be great, I just want something more modern.... not really bigger just newer looking....

One problem you'll run into is the outer diameter of the front wheel bearings. Newer front wheels have larger outer diameter bearings. On rear wheels it is pretty simple to knock out your bearings and insert them into newer wheels. Most bikes produced after the GS line used bigger diameter axles front and rear. But the rear wheel outer bearing diameter is the same as newer wheels. Front wheels aren't so simple. The first GSX-Rs used similar style wheels but they were 18". You also start running into problems like rotor bolt patterns being different. You'll just have to go to a salvage yard and look for something that might fit.

I got tired of the skinny rims and switched to a complete GSX-R front end and at first a Katana 600 3.5" rear. Now I use a 4.5" GSX-R rear. It is a very tight squeeze in the stock swingarm, which by the way my '85 700 is tha same as your '83 750, so I am adapting a '93 GSX-R swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      One problem you'll run into is the outer diameter of the front wheel bearings. Newer front wheels have larger outer diameter bearings. On rear wheels it is pretty simple to knock out your bearings and insert them into newer wheels. Most bikes produced after the GS line used bigger diameter axles front and rear. But the rear wheel outer bearing diameter is the same as newer wheels. Front wheels aren't so simple. The first GSX-Rs used similar style wheels but they were 18". You also start running into problems like rotor bolt patterns being different. You'll just have to go to a salvage yard and look for something that might fit.

I got tired of the skinny rims and switched to a complete GSX-R front end and at first a Katana 600 3.5" rear. Now I use a 4.5" GSX-R rear. It is a very tight squeeze in the stock swingarm, which by the way my '85 700 is tha same as your '83 750, so I am adapting a '93 GSX-R swingarm.
      Hi Bill,

I read a post:

I wanted to know if I could use the front end and swingarm off an '95 Katana 600. I have both an '83 750E and a '83 1100E. Will this setup work on either bike? Any help would greatly appreciated.

Comment

Bill,

Can you be really specific about what parts you used, from what bikes, the year of the bikes and problems you encountered along the way?

I have a set of wheels from a GS 550E that are 17" and I would like to convert the front to a newer style like off of a Katana, GSXR, whatever.

Any advice you have would be appreciated!

Comment

Working...
        X