Polishing/Refinishing Fairing Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing/Refinishing Fairing Windshield

Does anyone know of a good product/method of cleaning up an aged windshield. The surface of the OE windshield on my 83 GS750ES has turned somewhat opaque over the past 19 years and I want to try to clean up the surface without scratching. Interestingly, where I left spattered bug juice uncleaned for a week or more, the insect's body fluids have cleaned up the surface. However, until I can figure out how to get an even coating of giant bug bodies, I am forced to try more conventional methods/products. Your experience or advice will be much appreciated.

Simon Waters

Windshield Cleaning

SIMON
    JUST DONT SWALLOW THE GIANT BUGS SPIT THEM BACK ONTO THE WINDSHIELD

Comment

there are many products on the market which will clean up old windscreens, JC whitney sells one product, MAW and Dennis kirk seels also.

Comment

Simon; I have used RACE GLAZE for years on helmet shields, snowmobile windshields with very good luck. It can also be used on paint as it is a polish & sealant. Works great but not on flat black paint or black textured plastic trim. You will get better gas mileage also

Craig

1982 GS1100EZ

Its not old, just a blast from the past!!

Comment

For my windscreen I've had very good luck using brasso metal polish. This stuff is a very very very fine abrasive. Use a clean lint free cloth (old tee shirts are great), rub windshield with small circular strokes, let dry to haze, buff off using clean lint free cloth (another tee shirt). My windshield sparkles and there are no distortions other than the built in ones due to the curve of the "glass". Brasso is very inexpensive too.

Comment

Windshield

Simon, Brasso works great. I've used it on everything. Make sure you shake it up good. Also Walmart carries 3M Polishing compound (Fine cut) whic I used to clean my screen up pretty well. Whitney and Kirk both carry a plexi glass cleaner that I hear is pretty good but I have never used it.

Comment

Simon,
              I used Novus plastic polish my '83 windshield and it was virtually opaque. Most bike shops carry it. Here's a link.
              NOVUS Plastic Polish products are best for restoring plastics and acrylics - bringing them back to life. Buy our plastic polish kit for use on cars, headlights and more.

Comment

I've also used brasso on face shields. Just make sure you rinse it with water, cuz brasso ain't that great smelling. Also used on a "shorty" fairing/windscreen on a 83 GPz750 that was very yellowed and scratched. Worked pretty damn good, although the best fix in this case would have bben to buy a replacement windscreen.

Comment

Re: Windshield refinishing/cleaning

Many thanks, guys, for your advice. Have checked out Novus site, Dan.....interesting. Also, Tim & Craig, I will look at MAW & Race Glaze. I never thought of Brasso, Robert & Jay. Reminds me of my OTC days cleaning brass buckles on my dress webbing, belts, etc.. Am now exercising my right arm in preparation for all the elbow grease required.

Simon
                  (now how do I restore my reputation on the Forum??)

Comment

Novus

Novus is the stuff I was thinking of when I mentioned Kirk and Whitney

Comment

OTC!!!!!!!!! Ehewwwwwwwwwww!!! :x NCOs is what makes the world go around!

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
                        OTC!!!!!!!!! Ehewwwwwwwwwww!!! :x NCOs is what makes the world go around!
                        Can't disagree with you re: NCO's, but I thought the saying was:

Love makes the world go round, marriage makes it go flat!

Simon

Comment

Yes...fek marriage.

Comment

Someone needs to take some leave!!! (from fellow NCO)

Comment

polishing a windshield

I have had to recondition a windshield for my Pacifico fairing and to do it I used the 3 step plexyglass polishing system that JC Whitney sells. You start out with a fine polishing compound and work your way up to a cleaner polisher that is almost a wax. This system worked very well and cleaned up an old scratched up windshield to the point that it looks like new. In fact, after I was finished polishing it I sat it on my workbench leaning up against my pegboard. When I came back to mount it on the fairing I looked on the workbench and couldn't see it anywhere and then realized that I was looking right through it and seeing my tools hanging on the wall behind it. The system is good and is in the JCW cataloge or on their web site. Have fun! --Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X