Carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb issues

Well, my brother just picked up a bike (sorry, I don't know what it is yet, but I do know it has carbs almost identical to mine on my 78 750) and the fuel inlet nipple is broken off... the previous owner tried to JB weld it, with no success, and the used parts dealer I go to tried to sell me a whole new set... I was wondering if a whole new set was neccessary or if I could just go to a junk yard and pull the inlet nipple part of the carb rack. I can't see a whole new set as neccessary if the 4 carbs separate. Also, when the bike is not running and the petcock is left on (it is not a vaccuum actuated one) fuel drips out of the 4 hoses off the bottom of the float bowl (overfill tubes)?. If I've read past posts correctly, this is a stuck needle porblem? correct? Thank you, Ben

Sounds like stuck needles. Carbs need to be cleaned. As for the fuel inlet, if you can pull it out you might try replacing it with a plastic fitting available at just about any auto parts store.

Comment

carb issues

You need to get the correct fitting goes between the 2-3 carb, it seals with O-rings into the carb body, it is too much work to not do it right the first time

Comment

You definately need the correct fitting between 2 and 3. I went to a bike breakers and bought a complete set of carbs, with very heavy fire damage, for 20 pounds. I salvaged most of the jets (which was what I needed), one set of floats and although I didn't need it, the peice we are talking about was in fine shape. Maybe you could hunt around for a similar set, you will salvage more spares which are always usefull.

Comment

These guys are giving you good advice you need to obtain the correct plastic fitting for between carbs 2 and 3 , the wrecker probably didn't want to break up a set of four carbs to just sell this piece . try another wrecker or see if you can locate your local Mikuni ( I'm assuming they're Mikuni) distrubutor and they can sell you the piece. As for the fuel dripping you you should never have fuel coming past a needle valve unless the bike is parked ,(a) upside down or (b) you have one or more stuck floats.

hope this helps

Comment

Additional note MAKE sure that you chancge the oil it probably has been diluted by the leaking carbs

Comment

Re:Carb issues, thank you

Thanks all for the tips, I haven't seen the bike yet, but he brought me a pic of the carbs and yes, they are mikuni 26mm? maybe larger. As for the broken peice, I'm headed over there on Monday to take the carbs off and try to free up that peice, but it didn't look like a plastic nipple, looked like the same metal as the carb bodies, and the break made them look like one solid piece. I'll know more tuesday. ~Ben Reilly

Comment

Working...
              X