finding a seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finding a seat

can any one help me find a catalog or a web site for a new seat for my 83'gs1100gk bike the pan underneith is rusted and i would like it very much if somone could help

thanks
    craig
    spring,tx

Ronald You may have to do what I did In college I worked at a fiberglass boat repair shop anyway I took everthing off of what was left of my 82 1100 g seat and used the original pan to make a mold then I hand laided fine mesh fiber glass cloth .I was able to reproduce the original seat pan . this will work I had to pop rivet roof flashing where the pan was really bad . good luck

Comment

I've seen seats in Ebay. Not sure which GS they where for, but they pop up now and then.

Comment

New Seat

Ronald
        I think your best bet would be e-bay, I have seen them on there before. You also might want to post on one of the on-line salvage sites. I tried to get Corbin to make a seat form my 1150 and they would not touch it. (They said it was to old)

Comment

Ron the idea of using fiberglass is a good one. I used glass fiber impregnated body filler to reshape the radiator apron on my old truck...I just troweled it on and then ground it down once it had cured.

That was twenty years ago and the apron is still just fine.

Do it in steps...use a little at a time...it works really well and will last forever.

Comment

Having the same problem, and the same model bike, I found an 11--E seat on E-bay and had the nose split off, a bit added to make up the difference in length, and re-welded to fit the 1100G. Travelcade makes a pre-formed/covered cruiser seat that works well. (Got mine on E-bay) It has enough foam to allow leg length for tall folks, so I had to cut out quite a bit of foam from mine. I don't know how good it will be on long trips as I have just done it.

I also just met someone with a GS1100GK who needs a new pan. He has experience with fiberglass and suggested he can use my old pan as a mold, (I rivetted a few pieces to the rusty edges and ground them to the original shape, so it would hold the cover...hopefully it will do as a mold). This just happened, so nothing has been done yet. Will let you know how it works out.

Ron Martin
            82 GS1100G
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

These folks used to do original copy seats for ?90

cheers

Comment

If all of you go to the general discussion forum, there is a post there called GKTags about a place in florida that still does a seat for them including a replacement fiberglass seat base if required
                Dink

Comment

Working...
                X