Taking off the carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking off the carbs

Now only having done this for the first time :? I was removing the carbs and found getting the rubber connectors from the carb to the head off was quite an ordeal 8O Is this common or am I missing some thing in this process Dont wanna break anything getting parts up here is hard Thanks in advance for any insight to this
    Ed Pedersen

As long as the carbs are drained and no raw fuel is in the area you could warm up the manifolds with a blow drier to make them more pliable. Wiggling them up and down as you try to pull them off is about all you can do otherwise. A little oil inside the manifolds helps when you put them back on.

Comment

If they are froze on, it might be time to replace em'. Check out http://www.bikebandit.com for replacements if it comes down to it. Good luck.

Comment

Are you trying to remove the carbs or are you trying to remove the carb boots after the carbs are off? The carbs pull out backwards from the boots after you have loosened the airbox and pushed it back as far as it will go (sometimes you have to loosen the battery box too, depending on the model), unless you have the early GS750s, standard GS850Gs, 1000Gs or 1100Gs - these allow you to pull the airbox out first.

If you are trying to remove the carb boots from the head after the carbs are out of the way, an impact driver is usually needed. Sometimes you can get a small pair of visegrips on the screw head which, when used in combination with a screwdriver, will almost always get them out. If you get one side out, then you can spin the boot itself counterclockwise while unscrewing the last screw. Replace the screws with allen head bolts. Replace the o-ring if it is hard and flat. Check the boots carefully for cracks - air leaks will completely mess up your carburation.

Comment

Looks like I read your question wrong. Don gave good advice in his response. The soft philips head bolts are a pain to get out. Allen head bolts are the way to go. Use some anti-sieze lubricant on the new bolts when you install them.

Comment

The air box was the problem
            manuel says to pull it back as far as possible ???
            then the carbs will drop out . It looks like there is a bit of wrestling to get them out . I really like the allen head idea
            Thanks much
            Ed

Comment

Airbox

I have found it easier if you just go ahead and take the airbox completly out. Its only 2 more bolts and moving some wires and hoses out of the way. At least it is easy to do my my 81 GS 850. Takes about 1 more minute and then I have lots off room to move the carbs around to get a really good seal when I put them back on.

Comment

Working...
              X