X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noises and ignition

I have a couple of questions.
    1) What is the reason for "park" on the ignition
    2) I have a slight noise in my clutch. Maybe not so much a noise as maybe something I can feel when the clutch is engaged. It almost completely goes away when I disengage the clutch. Could I be so lucky to have it be just a loose Pressure Disk?
    3) What would cause a high pitched whir type of sound from the valve-cam shaft area?

1) 'Park' will lock your steering AND leave the taillight on. This is supposedly for when your bike breaks down on the side of a busy road.

2) Ignore a slight rattling sound. That is just the way the clutch system works (and it is one of the best systems ever made).

3) Tach drive? Tight cam chain tensioner? Worn cam chain guide block? Plugged cam bearing oil passage? It would be difficult to tell without investigation.

Comment

I agree with Don in that you need to investigate the "whirring" further. It sounds like a tight cam chain tensioner or tight (which means incorrect) cam caps. I would advise you investigate sooner rather than later. These engines can take alot of abuse, but not forever.

Comment

Cam bearing oil passage

I think I may have a plugged cam bearing oil passage. What's the best way to unplug it? Is it possible to us some type of oil additive?

Thanks

Comment

TheNose:

You don't want to put anything in with your oil. You will damage the clutches.

Steve

Comment

ok

Thanks for the reply. The "park" thing is now very obvious.

I've read posts on the old forum about loose bolts on the pressure disk, what type of noise would come from that? I may open it up to have a look anyways, it'll give me a chance to check on the condition of the clutch, if nothing else.

I'm going to take a look under the valve cover this weekend, I hope it's nothing to serious!

Comment

Working...
            X