Broken Chain - Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Chain - Newbie Questions

Ok so my little owner?s manual says not to use a chain with a master link on my 85 GS700E. It says take it to an authorized dealer and have them install a seamless one by removing the swing arm. :?

Why wouldn?t a normal chain with a master link work? O sure factory o-ring chains are better but I?d rather not pay 60 dollars an hour to have someone install one when I can do it myself. Is there so much more torque on this chain than the ones on my other motorcycles or do they just want more of my money? :x

I?ve been procrastinating on having it replaced and it took revenge on me tonight by snapping in two. Luckily for my wife, who was riding pillion directly above my poorly maintained unguarded chain of death, no one got hurt and nothing on the bike appears to be damaged. I just had to walk a mile to the phone call a friend go to work get my truck and be late for my sisters graduation party. DOH I?d should have stayed at work where I belong.

Although they have the rear sprocket listed JCW?s web page doesn?t indicate that they carry the front countershaft. Any help on finding one would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul (OSPoM) Billett

As long as you get a good quality O-ring chain you can use a chain with a master link. I have the same bike as yours with engine mods and have never had a problem using a linked chain. Just make sure you install the clip in the right direstion on the master link. If you want to use an endless chain it just means having to pull the swingarm off to install it. Not that big of a deal.

Comment

That's what I thought. I've done swing arm work one of my other bikes (77 XS650) and didn't think this one looked more complicated just different.

What grade of chain would you suggest? Would this suffice or should I be looking at higher quality?

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Thanks
      Paul

Comment

Don't skimp on the chain. I prefer Tsubaki or RK. You should be able to find a sight that compares chain strength. You'll probably have to pay double what JC Whitney wants for that chain but it is cheaper than throwing a chain through an engine case, or worse. You were lucky the old chain didn't do some serious damage. Look at the Tsubaki Omega O-ring chain at the site below, that's what I'm running.

Comment

Working...
        X