Loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of power

I have a beautiful 1982 GS850GZ. It starts and runs good most of the time but one day she failed me and I had to have it towed. I was riding one morning going about 80 mph for 30 minutes and then all of a sudden I lost power. My speed dropped to 55 and at that point I am just hoping I could make it home. Well I didn't . It died on me. I could not get it started again and had to have it towed ( poor thing ). I got her home and checked the plugs, the ignition coil resistance, and the battery. The plugs were fine, the ignition coils measured correct resistance. The battery was low on water. I filled the battery with water and charged her up. By the time I was ready to start her again she had been resting a couple hrs. She started right up and ran great. It did not make sense to me that a battery low on water could do this so I purchased new ignition coils. Since then I have ridden her a couple hundred miles with no problems until this last ride. I was riding her kind of hard but she was loving it. She was strong and smooth. But then it happened again. Loss of power. I limped her into the nearest gas station and checked plugs, they were good. I checked battery and it was good. I got her started 30 minutes later but she was firing only on the outer two cylinders. I noticed the oil was half a quart low so I added oil and fired her up. She was still only firing on the outer two cylinders. I gave her some gas by twisting the throttle a little bit and all of a sudden she fired on all four cylinders. She ran great the rest of the way home which was 35 miles doing 70mph. I am stumped. Could something be getting too hot causing me to lose spark through one coil. I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks,,,, Rocky

really sounds like fuel starvation, check that petcock is opening fully,no vacuum leaks, you may have to remove it and dissassemble, check diaphragm and under diaphragm for broken plastic pieces wedged in spring, do you have an external fuel filter, could be clogging,or the always fun Grunge-in-Tank!
    Good Luck

Comment

The way you suddenly lost power definately sounds like fuel starvation. However, only firing on the outer 2 cylinders sounds like a coil. One coil fires 1 and 4, one coil fires 2 and 3. Make the checks suggested by daveo and then check all your electrical connections in the ignition circuit. You have new coils so they can almost certainly be eliminated. Are your plugs new ? They don't last forever even if they are a tan colour.

Comment

Loss of power

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I will check those things out as soon as I get back home from Vacation. As soon as I know anything I will let you know. Thanks again for your help. Rocky Johnson

Comment

Working...
        X