Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamometers

Should an experianced guy on a " dyno dynamics dynamometer "
    be able to set up carbs, after making the change from a standard air box system to individual k&n pod filters, in under 5 .5 hrs ?

Even if not, would it be out of the question to expect the plugs to all burn the same colour at idle?

After tuning, new plugs run for thirty seconds came out as-
    sooty
    as new
    very smokey to sooty
    sooty

Of the plugs it was tuned on, when removed they were-
    sooty suspect partly fouled
    white, lean looking

I know that when I go in to question this that they are going to give me the story that they can't individually set thecarbies on each cylinder as they only have one gas analyser and it goes in the exhaust and takes an average of all four cylinders output emissions.

Surely they should be able to better than this shouldn't they?

Re: Dynamometers

Originally posted by trotski
    Should an experianced guy on a " dyno dynamics dynamometer "
    be able to set up carbs, after making the change from a standard air box system to individual k&n pod filters, in under 5 .5 hrs ?

Even if not, would it be out of the question to expect the plugs to all burn the same colour at idle?

After tuning, new plugs run for thirty seconds came out as-
    sooty
    as new
    very smokey to sooty
    sooty

Of the plugs it was tuned on, when removed they were-
    white, lean looking

I know that when I go in to question this that they are going to give me the story that they can't individually set thecarbies on each cylinder as they only have one gas analyser and it goes in the exhaust and takes an average of all four cylinders output emissions.

Surely they should be able to better than this shouldn't they?
    They should be able to get it closer than that...did they put in a jet kit into the carbs or just try to adjust everthing by the needle shims and air screws?

Hap

Comment

If i read your list of plugs conditions correctly, 2nd from top being #2, it would seem they had the gas tank off and the vacuum line to petcock (from #2 manifold) unplugged when they did this 'adjustment', hence the whitish color, I would take the bike far away from them and refuse to pay anything, they don't know what they're doing.

Comment

There was no jet kit installed. It was just in there to have adjustments made to get it to run correctly and to stop it from fouling plugs. Neither of these were accomplished.

The vacuum line is sealed off and the petrol tap installed in line in the hose. there is no hose for him to have left undone. After about six km the plugs were first removed, three were fouled and one was a stark white. Way too white to be running healthy, more like about to start burning up white.

Tried swapping carbs with a set from a GS750, first set , lots of sneezing and banging as usual.
        Tried a second set as well, with these on it ran smoothly.

The second set had a set of jets screwed into one of the holes at the very back of the carbs, the one that runs to the enrichener.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
        It was done to enable the carbs to be used with pod filters.
        It looks to me as if they are slowing the flow of air into the float bowl. Maybe it helps to stop all of your fuel being pushed out into the engine so quickly.

After 18 km I used 2.85 litres of petrol. Thats 6.3 km/L , this is less than half what I am expecting to get.

Could the air slowing jet help stop the fuel flowing out so Quickly?

Comment

My 1100 does around 15 KM per Litre so you have either got a big leak somewhere or she is running very rich. Does she backfire on overun with the throttle closed?

Comment

Working...
          X