:? new seat foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:? new seat foam?

I think the seat foam on my 82 1100GK is breaking down,my half is really soft now, while the rear seat is still comfortably firm.(imagine that! 20yr old foam getting weak under a 300lb load!!)Does seat foam come in soft to hard varieties?My pan and cover are still in good shape,would it be possible to just buy a chunk of good foam and cut it to shape?Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    steve

I think it is special foam

I have heard that the foam is a special hard density. I have also heard that you can get some from places that do custom upholstery for cars and boats etc.
    I had to modify the seat foam on my 82GS850 since the high rise in the back was rubbing me the wrong way. Anyway, I was given the advice to shape it with an electric carving knife. I did that and it worked great.
    If you go ahaead with this you may want to save the original foam in order to have something to go by as you sculpt a new one.
    Good luck,
    Mike

Comment

I had my whole seat redone at a custom upholstery place. Best thing I've ever done for my comfort.

Comment

Re: :? new seat foam?

Upholstery/seat foam comes in soft, medium and hard densities.
        You can tailor the hard and soft spots and compression absorption
        of your seat by alternating layers of soft, medium or hard foam.
        Usually for the first layer next to the pan, you would want the
        closed cell hard type of foam as it will not compress completely.
        You can carve all of them with an electric carving knife and all of them can be spray glued/layered in whatever shape you wish.
        If you build the seat up with multiple layers and add on shapes,
        the last layer is normally a thin single piece covering of about 1/2"
        soft foam. To get an accurate pattern, I usually cover the whole seat in 2" masking tape, then mark the cut lines with a magic marker, pull off the tape, cut it with scissors, add about 1/4" to the perimeter for stitching/seaming and then make the cover.

Earl

Earl

Originally posted by Steve Rydall
        I think the seat foam on my 82 1100GK is breaking down,my half is really soft now, while the rear seat is still comfortably firm.(imagine that! 20yr old foam getting weak under a 300lb load!!)Does seat foam come in soft to hard varieties?My pan and cover are still in good shape,would it be possible to just buy a chunk of good foam and cut it to shape?Any ideas would be appreciated.
        Thanks!
        steve
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earls suggestion is spot on but try and use single pieces of foam rather than do it in several sections. Stretch the foam along the length of the seat first, glue it in place and make sure you have no wrinkles in it, then do the sides and cut out enough to mould to the right shape once again stretching the foam. When you get to the vinyl cover allow enough extra for seaming and before you fit it to the seat warm the vinyl so that it will stretch easily and can be fitted tighter and will help stop the foam from wearing out.

Comment

Jean, for warming the vinyl, the only thing I have ever used is a hot air heat gun. Do you have a better way?

Earl

Originally posted by WifeofDink
            When you get to the vinyl cover allow enough extra for seaming and before you fit it to the seat warm the vinyl so that it will stretch easily and can be fitted tighter and will help stop the foam from wearing out.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

A hot air gun is probably the best way, If you have the vinyl sewn and ready to fit you could try warming it in the oven, heat the oven on low heat, turn in off and then place the vinly inside wrapped in a damp cloth to stop any scorching of the vinyl. This method also works well if you want to treat leather as the heat opens the pores of the leather and allows for better absorbtion.

Comment

Thanks Jean. Glad you told me about using the damp cloth. I probably would have made a big oven full of vinyl toast. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by WifeofDink
                A hot air gun is probably the best way, If you have the vinyl sewn and ready to fit you could try warming it in the oven, heat the oven on low heat, turn in off and then place the vinly inside wrapped in a damp cloth to stop any scorching of the vinyl. This method also works well if you want to treat leather as the heat opens the pores of the leather and allows for better absorbtion.

Comment

I would check with J.C. WhitneyThey sell the Travelcade kits that will fit your bike which include the Foam and the Seat cover......... ...I am sure all the aftermarket companies sell them as well...Also if you let the cover heat up in the sun ....That is the best way to stretch it

Comment

Working...
                  X