Cold start: GS759ESD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold start: GS759ESD

My bike will not start in the a.m. No fuel. I just cleaned and sealed the tank, and cleaned the carbs (following the GSResources carb-clean file).
    It will not even hiccup in the morning, but if it sits all day it fires right up and runs like a champ in the afternoon. Is there a special cold-start method that I don't know about?

what year model is it? when you cleaned the carbs did you make sure that the enricheners were good and clean and that gas was flowing through them?
    also is the choke cable adjusted correctly?

Comment

I have a 1979 gs750e. It refused to start in the cold mornings of atlantic canada unless i stuck a hair dryer behind the carbs for about 5-10 minutes. Cleaning the carbs helped, but when i installed 4 new shims for the intake valves increasing the clearance to around .002 in, this fixed the problem completely. Of course i had new plugs and points, condensers all adjusted properly.

The bike will now start -10 celsius with no help from a hair dryer.

Hope this helps.

Comment

DO YOU USE FULL CHOKE AND NO THROTTLE TO START IT NOW???

Comment

Re: Cold start: GS759ESD

Originally posted by jaesbow
          My bike will not start in the a.m. No fuel. I just cleaned and sealed the tank, and cleaned the carbs (following the GSResources carb-clean file).
          It will not even hiccup in the morning, but if it sits all day it fires right up and runs like a champ in the afternoon. Is there a special cold-start method that I don't know about?

My (83) GS750ESD is sensitive to choke setting on cold start up but always starts reliably unless it has been sleeping in the garage for a couple of months (in which case I use a squirt of starting fluid). When cold, I use full choke to initially fire up the engine and then back down to 1/2 choke after a few seconds. Are you sure that your choke cable/carb circuit is fuctioning OK?

Simon

Comment

Working...
          X