white smoke & stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white smoke & stalling

I have a `78 Gs 1000E with individual filter pods. I put a filter on the crankcase vent tube. I am getting white smoke from the crankcase vent tube filter and my bike stalls when ever I stop at traffic lights. The Tach shows the idle speed to be 1500 rpm. Is the white smoke from the crankcase vent tube filter normal? My carbs are clean . the bike starts and runs like a bat out of hell.
    Thanks for the help.
    Dave

Have your carbs balanced,and your idle speed is way high, it should be approx. 800-1100rpm.
    Dink

Comment

Did you change your oil since the carbs were cleaned?

Comment

Also try and look to see if petcock is stuck, flooding a cylinder, white smoke usually indicates gas vapor, and if so, would explain why you stall, so rich it is flooding. try looking there. Hope that helps

Comment

white smoke

My petcock checks out fine, I bought a new one a year ago. I can get the bike to idle at around 1000 or so when standing still but, it stalls at traffic lights or when slowing down after riding for 15 minutes or so.

Comment

have you considered that your choke circuit is not functioning correctly, it sounds like it is not shutting off totally,which would explain the high idle, the stalling if you try and lower it and the white smoke. Agood clean with some carb cleaner and compressed air should help a lot.
            Dink

Comment

Working...
            X