how much should carb rebuild run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much should carb rebuild run?

I would just like to start out by saying I appreciate all of the help you guys have been giving me and the other people on this site.
    My father's wife recentle gave me a 1978 gs750 with 15,000 miles on it. It has sat for the past 5 years. When I took the bottom bowls off of the carbs they were varnished up pretty badly. I am going to have the carbs rebuilt. the bike will "hit" when started but not run for very long. dies as soon as i give it gas.
    Basically, how much should a carb rebuild cost? including getting them re-synced and getting the thing running smoothly?

I just got a '77 GS750. It is my first bike. I asked a friend who is the local Suzuki mechanic how much the carb rebuild was and he said $200 for labor. I didn't bother asking how much the parts were. I decided to do it myself and it was a relatively simple job if you are mechanically inclined. I went to a local bearing supply store and brought the old o'rings with me. They matched them up, all except for the smallest ones that go on the needle valves. I used the old ones again because I could not find the small o'rings at any parts houses. Anyway, the bike runs good now even though I need to sync the carbs, I've gotten them close by trial and error. Good luck.

Comment

I just got a '77 GS750. It is my first bike. I asked a friend who is the local Suzuki mechanic how much the carb rebuild was and he said $200 for labor. I didn't bother asking how much the parts were. I decided to do it myself and it was a relatively simple job if you are mechanically inclined. I went to a local bearing supply store and brought the old o'rings with me. They matched them up, all except for the smallest ones that go on the needle valves. I used the old ones again because I could not find the small o'rings at any parts houses. Anyway, the bike runs good now even though I need to sync the carbs, I've gotten them close by trial and error. Good luck.

Comment

I just had my carbs rebuilt.It would have cost me $225 for labor ,and $80 for the carb rebuild kits $20 a piece .Because I have had alot of problems with them before the shop knocked off $125 for labor. So I guess it depends on where you go, and if they feel guilty about all the problems they were suposed to have fixed allready.

Comment

Can do it cheap ...

I just bought 2 carb O-Ring kits from a guy on e-bay for 12 bucks. the rubber is almost a perfect fit.
          4 cans of carb cleaner .99C EA to collect enough to dunk castings and a bit of elbow.. use the carb cleaning guide on this home page and its done.
          16 BUCKS. and I cleanded 13 years of varnish from MIS-storing my GS.

Thanks to all who helped me through this......
          Stimpy

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X