Putting my 83 GS650GD back on the road, need mo power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting my 83 GS650GD back on the road, need mo power

I just put my 83 GS650 back on the road after 13 years, (long story) short version below, but I resurrected it. It has half the power it had when I garaged it.
    How do I get my power back or increase it some more (I dont have deep wallet).
    I completely rebuilt carbs due to varnishing and sync'd-em. new battery and she cranked. I had her to a buck20. I mean 65, but it lacks the accel it had... please reply with ideas

Story
    I thought the front was toast, LET SOMEONE ON IT, IT NEVER CAME BACK WHOLE, they made it 100 feet though, they thought my guards were brakes but no braking, threw bike, intraments first into curb, forks and handle bars pointing to different compass points. figured a couple grand to fix. My buddy gave me a running 82 650 for parts, stripped the instraments and loosened fork bolts and my buddy said twist this......and cranked on the handle bars and tire, BOOOM.. IT LOOKED STRAIGHT.
    I clamped the wheels and cranked the bolts down, goes to 120/65 no a hint of a shimmy. WOW, I never reallized how much I missed my GS.. SHE'S BACK

thanks

low power

Stimpy, I once had a similar problem with a GS1100 that I replaced a head gasket on. I did all of the work following the procedure outlined in the Suzuki factory manual. However when I fired it back up I had a significant loss of power. It ran smoothly but weaker. I took the thing to the shop only to discover that I had bent 8 valves ( I can't remember if they were intake or exhaust). I thought I had followed the manual to the letter but evidently I must have not paid enough attention to where the cam lobes were positioned. I would suggest performing a compression check to see where you stand. Hopefully you're OK but if you're not you only have 8 valves to start with altogether!
    Another area to look at is the cam chain. If you are off by a tooth with either cam that can also cause you to lose power, although it won't damage your engine. Naturally I'm assuming that you cleaned out/rebuilt the carbs, that the engine runs at least somewhat smoothly, and that you've sychronized the carbs after you got it running. If you haven't done any of that, go ahead and take care of it. This is all basic tuneup stuff that needs to be done anyway. Oh yeah, don't forget to adjust the valves. Hope this is helpful. Good luck, RJ

Comment

A lot of times when an en gine has been sitting idle for a year or so the rings get stuck. They won't move in the piston groove, expand, contract, etc. due to old dried oil, varnish and grime. Just riding will usually correct this, but it takes a long time. To speed the process I always change the oil and replace one of the quarts with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. I also put a quart in every fuel tank fillup for about the first 500-600 miles. The stuff just plain works. No matter what, the MMO will help clean the inside of the engine. Give it a try, it's cheap.

Tim

Comment

Oil

Ive found paraffin down the bores, pull the plugs and crank it for a few revolutions to pump it all back out. This works really well on two strokes too. Might be usefull to someone somewhere that cant find the stuff above.....

Comment

Working...
        X