My GS650GD is back after 13 yrs, lost half its power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS650GD is back after 13 yrs, lost half its power

I just put my 83 GS650 back on the road after 13 years, (long story) short version below, but I resurrected it. It has half the power it had when I garaged it.
    How do I get my power back or increase it some more (I dont have deep wallet).
    I completely rebuilt carbs due to varnishing and sync'd-em. new battery and she cranked. I had her to a buck20. I mean 65, but it lacks the accel it had... please reply with ideas

Story
    I thought the front was toast, LET SOMEONE ON IT, IT NEVER CAME BACK WHOLE, they made it 100 feet though, they thought my guards were brakes but no braking, threw bike, intraments first into curb, forks and handle bars pointing to different compass points. figured a couple grand to fix. My buddy gave me a running 82 650 for parts, stripped the instraments and loosened fork bolts and my buddy said twist this......and cranked on the handle bars and tire, BOOOM.. IT LOOKED STRAIGHT.
    I clamped the wheels and cranked the bolts down, goes to 120/65 no a hint of a shimmy. WOW, I never reallized how much I missed my GS.. SHE'S BACK

thanks

Seeing as the bike has been sitting for so long it may just need time to loosen up again, give it a full service (plugs oil change etc) and treat it as if it being run-in and then go from there, a couple of hundred miles may make a lot of difference.

Comment

Also, since you had the carbs off (and you DID replace the O-rings...) check for vacuum leak, this can cause a low power condition also

Comment

Thanks so far

Thanks so far,
        I did NOT change the carb 0-rings YET, just got two kits in, and re-building spare carbs now, I did silicone o-rings while rebuilding. Only 10k on bike and no dry seals..
        I never heard of re-breaking in the bike but sounds logical. It was rough idling but is smoothing out nice this week (400miles later).
        I changed all fluids and filters, plugs, but still need to check points, yet.
        Can condenser or coils go over time sitting ???
        Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...
        X