HELP! Stuck fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Stuck fork seals

I finally got Karen off the bike long enough to try and replace the fork seals on her 550E. Everything was going good until I tried to remove the seals, they seem to be cemented in place. Good thing for me that it is raining and is supposed to tommorrow also, I have a little time but not much. I don't have a seal puller or anything else that works. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill and Karen,

The seals seal against the shiny part of the forks. Don't scratch that up. The outer perimeter of the seal, the part that is shouldered down in the bore, is metal encased in plastic and likely it is glued into place. (bad form don't do it) But because the lips of the seal work against the shiny part of the fork, you don't need to worry excesively about the walls of the bore. You can make some pretty bad gouges in that bore and not come to ultimate grief. Of course you don't want to.

So take an old unloved screwdriver and grind it into a point, bend it over so it looks like a fish hook, stab it into those seal lips and pull.

Be MUCH more careful with your new seals.

Comment

There is a bolt in the underside of the lower forkleg (in where the axle goes) if you remove that you can then pull the upper and lower fork legs apart and it should shock the seal out.

Comment

no way anyone would marry dink!!!!

Originally posted by WifeofDink
        There is a bolt in the underside of the lower forkleg (in where the axle goes) if you remove that you can then pull the upper and lower fork legs apart and it should shock the seal out.

Comment

Well I had to destroy the old seals to get them out. :twisted: Put the new ones in and have him all buttoned up waiting for a test ride. It is just too wet and dark so it will have to be tommorrow. Thanks for the help and Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Working...
          X