carb prob at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb prob at idle

:twisted: My gs1000 runs great but when I try to make it idle back down the engine keeps running a high speed even though the throttle is closed. I can wiggle the throttle back and forth or rev it a little and slam it foroward and it will idle back down normally. Can yall help me? I just had the carbs rebuilt and everything is hooked up normally and the return spring is still there and functoning. Thanks in advance. :?

Check the throttle cable adjustment and routing. Have you lubed the cable and the twist grip? Does turning the handle bars to the right or left have any effect?

Comment

yes I have done all that. Turning the handlebars does nothing to affect it. THink the slides could be stickin? It sat around for 13 yrs in a basement before it ran. Carbs have been rebuilt.

Comment

It looks like you may have a problem with a simple solution.
        Underneath the carb bank you will find an adjuster knob. Turn it in(clockwise) to reduce idle speed. That should do it for you.

Since you just had the carbs rebuilt, the mixture and basic throttle opening settings may need adjustment to balance them on your bike, which is REALLY important to get best performance from the bike. You need a decent vacuum tool for that, or any bike mechanic can do it.

Ron Martin 82 GS1100G
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I found out the problem. The needles were just nubs not needles anymore. It was also running kinda rich.

Comment

Working...
          X