chains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chains...

The chain on my bike seems to be worn out. Too much slack, even after adjustment. Before I go and purchase a new one, I thought I'd ask the experts for some advice. Anyone have any tips or perhapse a few nuggets of wisdom to share? I need to know what size to get for a 1980 GS750E, and If anyone has any advice on brand or suggestions on an easy change out, I'd appreciate all info and experiences. Thanks in advance, Dominick........

Your spares man will have a listing of the correct size chain for you bike, go with a known brand, RK DID etc as cheap ones wear too quickly and make sure you replace chain and sprokets as a set as worn sprokets will only wear out a new chain faster and it ends up costing more money in the long run.

Comment

Re: chains...

Youre going to need 96 links of #630 chain. I'm using DID now and have used Tsubaki also. Never had any problems with either of them. Anymore, most brands of motorcycle chain will probably last acceptably. The biggest causes of short chain life are too much
      tension and not enough lubrication. I prefer a chain with a master
      link since its much easier to install or remove to clean. Another
      telltale giveaway is that if your rear rim stays shiny and clean, its a sure bet you dont have enough oil on the chain. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by dominick
      The chain on my bike seems to be worn out. Too much slack, even after adjustment. Before I go and purchase a new one, I thought I'd ask the experts for some advice. Anyone have any tips or perhapse a few nuggets of wisdom to share? I need to know what size to get for a 1980 GS750E, and If anyone has any advice on brand or suggestions on an easy change out, I'd appreciate all info and experiences. Thanks in advance, Dominick........
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thanks much for the info, it'll come in handy. Any ideas on how long a chain and sprockets last? my bike has about 24k on it, that sound normal? more or less life expected than that? thanks again, Dominick........

Comment

Alot of it depends on the chain, and how/where you ride, 24K sounds ok, not good, not bad, either. If your one of theose who ride in dusy areas, and hate chain lube, or a constant wrist-twister, then chain life will diminish, and, of course, if you lube it religously, ride conservatively, life will be extended. Type and brand of chain make a difference also.

Comment

Working...
          X