Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curt's tragic tale of woe - Please don't tow my bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curt's tragic tale of woe - Please don't tow my bike!

Curt's terrible tale of woe - Please don't tow my bike

It was a great day for a ride. So nice in fact that I didn't feel the need to wear my leather jacket, while going for a short rip around the city(Calgary, Canada) with my buddy Jeremy. Jeremy rides a '97 750 Virago and I'm sporting a '82 GS 650.

At about eight o'clock on a warm and dry Tuesday evening when the patrol car made it's presence known in the usual way. We cringed, flicked the signals, pulled off from the intersection, and crept into the closest parking lot. The usual process the ensued; dismounting, killing the engines, pulling the helmets, ??and confronting the cop. "Licence, registration, and insurance" our friendly policeman demanded. Oh no. -left-hand inside pocked, the one with the zipper- I'd left the insurance and registration in my leather at home, exactly thirty-one blocks. The cop seemed to accept this awnser and with licences and Jeremy's registration & insurance in hand, returned to the cruiser. While he did his thing we pondered why we were pulled over. Jeremy was sure it was speeding. He said he'd glanced at the speedo and throttled off at about 100 km/hr and as I was keeping pace with him, I must've been close to that. With those two factors in mind, a more serious question was raised. With the speed and the tightness of our formation, did he think that we'd been racing? A stunting charge holds six demerits(or is it eight?) and with Jer's licence within four points of getting pulled, this was fairly dire. While waiting for the officer to return from the car, we received bad omen number one. Another cruiser with two cops pulled into the lot and parked on the other side of us and the bikes. Then another. Two young(18 and 20) guys with two bikes. Five cops in three cars. They were all standing around talking to each other, apparently oblivious to us. Then we got ba
    d omen number two. A tow truck pulled into the lot and stops just outside the ring of police cars. Oh no. The original cop returned from the car and asked "So who's going first?" Oh no. I didn't have my papers on me and Jeremy hadn't gotten his 2002 insurance papers(he had insurance but didn't have the current paperwork, and the old one showed an expiry date of May 10th, today being the 28th) so the bikes were going for a ride. Much begging ensued but with no avail. As the tow-truck driver strapped the harness on my Suzi, the officer told me that I was under arrest on an outstanding warrant(which turned out to be an unpaid transit fine of $150). He then proceeded to torque my arm behind my back and heave me onto the hood of the car. Handcuffed and in the back of the cruiser, I heard Jeremy ask the tow truck driver "This isn't going to hurt the bikes is it?". "Yeah it probably is" was the awnser. As the patrol car carried me away, I watched my bike bounce off the back of the truck as it was being raised. That's one of the more disheartening sights I've seen. I've had that bike for two days. On the way to the station, I asked why we'd been pulled over in the first place. "Well it's the beginning of the motorcycle season so we've been routinely stopping them" was the honest retort. So I got pulled over for riding a motorcycle?? Man, that's rough.

It's now the day after, and I'm assessing the damage(financially at least). Failure to provide proof of registration, $57. Failure to provide proof of insurance, one towed bike, towing charge, $70. Impound lot fees, $33.26. Court ordered to pay my transit fine of $150 by June 28th, or face another warrant. Summoned to appear before a judge on June 10th to prove that I'm insured. Now the big one, how's my baby? ahem, bike? I guess I'll find out in a couple hours when I get off work and pick her up.

And the moral of the story, boys and girls, is that you should always keep your papers on you and pay your fines in a ti
    mely fashion. But you already know that.

Curt

Do you have any legal recourse against the tow operater?
    If this happened in Australia the tow company would be ordered to pay the costs involved in repairing the bike.
    Good luck with your court appearance and keep us informed on the bike

Comment

Tow Driver

I think I'd find the tow driver and he suddenly would experience alot of flat tires. I had a similer experience with a car of mine when I was a kid. I had parked in a No Parking Zone but didn't realize it. It was my 64 GTO. The cops came along and decided to tow it. I showed up just as the tow driver was getting it hooked up. Since I always parked with the wheels turned the tow driver had to pull it from the spot and put flat spots on the front tires. The cop wouldn't let me give the tow driver the keys to straighten the wheels out. He was a jerk. What he didn't know was that my brother in law was a cop. I got my tires replaced at the cities expense and didn't have to pay the parking ticket because the cop was such a jerk. Oh and the tow driver had to fix 4 flat tires.

Comment

I figure if I see the tow truck drives again, I'll have to do some good old fashioned stalking!
        Anyway, I got her back and the damage is mininmal: Small dings(2) in the muffler, the polish rubbed off the pipes where the sling was atatched, and she was a little skitish after spending her first night away from home (not to mention COVERED in dust, a day after I polished her up). Nothing to repair and she's back in my arms, er, stall so I'm a happy guy again.

Comment

Glad to hear you got your bike back with minimal damage. It probably could have been worse.

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
            Glad to hear you got your bike back with minimal damage. It probably could have been worse.
            It could have been worse How??....That tow truck driver would Catch one Helluva Azz whooping

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
              It could have been worse How??....That tow truck driver would Catch one Helluva Azz whooping

Comment

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about Calgary cops. A buddy of mine got cuffed and stuffed after some minor infraction. They did a check and found he had an outstanding fine, which he had paid, but they didn't have any record of it. 8O Major hassle. :x Did you hear the one about having to have a CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approved helmet? Apparently Snell and DOT mean nothing. 8O
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Pull it over buddy!!!

Curt:
                  There is a not so little thing in this country that most of my countrymen seem to have forgotten & that is 'Probable cause'.
                  The police here must have a REASON to pull someone over.......must be that little innocent before proven guilty thing.
                  Now I'm not that naive in that if a policeman finds just the smallest thing ,that will usually suffice as a probable cause, so I endeavor to be PERFECT in my riding style......always signal a lane change, no ripping drag style launches, always keeping at the speed limit ,no radical manuevering,(etc).
                  When I do violate these "laws" I'm well aware of the risks, tickets, fines,(etc).
                  I guess what I'm saying is we DO have it better here than most other places..........& we are fortunate for it!
                  Rick........

Comment

Not bad. When I rolled my first truck, they snagged over 200 cd's and a 1 day old stainless cat-back exhaust I put in. Never mind that they towed her with a flat and ripped out my rear brakes, fuel fill hose and tanked the fender (81 F100 Flareside). Ended up pulling her out of the woods at 6am on a sunday morning over that...

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Next time pay for a flat bed.

You are going to have to pay for the tow truck anyway. Find out from the cop before he calls the tow truck if he intends on towing you. I had a cop who at my request ordered a flat bed for me. I had to pay extra but atleast my bike didn't get hooked up like a dead cow. Chris from Baltimore MD.

Comment

Calgary cop's

I also ride up here in Calgary Curt,and I'm sorry to hear your tale of woe. The Calgary cop's do start pulling over biker's every spring, with very good reason. As you MUST know by living here it is common practice for driver's (car and motorcycle) to get insurance so they can also get registration and plate STICKER. Then they cancel the insurance and are of course refunded most if not all the money. As most cyclist's don't want to pay that cash for the 6 to 8 month's that our machine's sit and wait for better weather, and your plate sticker is valid for a year from the date of registry, there are a load of guys that ride with no insurance. If you go by the book in this area you will never have a problem, also I never leave the house on a ride without checking that my insurance and registration are on me.

Comment

Re: Calgary cop's

I keep the insurance card and registration in a mylar photo holder that is duct taped to the underside of the seat.

Earl

Originally posted by Keith Winter
                          If you go by the book in this area you will never have a problem, also I never leave the house on a ride without checking that my insurance and registration are on me.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

hey there sorry bout the bit of bad luck!! IN the state of Va(where I have had my fair share of run ins!!) you need to have probable cause to pop someone or it wont stand up in court. My wifes an officer and confirms it....Also you dont actually have the right to choose the tow comapany if the officer(if its a local) decides that he doesnt want you too...If it is a state boy then you definitely have no choice...As far as the papers are worth depending on the officer//offense they will generally let those pass as long as you can give license number and gen ifo on you...The warrant is a bum wrap generally they will give you a bench warrant and send you on your way unless it is a federal warrant then well you are s.o.l. .. As far a that driver you have every right to go after the company and the driver for the damages incurred from improper loading....Well the best I an say is good luck and try to get what you can!!

Comment

Re: Calgary cop's

Originally posted by earlfor
                              I keep the insurance card and registration in a mylar photo holder that is duct taped to the underside of the seat.

Earl
                              Yup. I use a freezer baggie, but same result. One copy of each always in wallet (for all vehicles) and one copy in each vehicle.

I also have a door key (or ignition in the case of the bike) in my wallet when I go out of the immediate area. I have a bad habit of setting keys down where they can be locked in. Including in the box under the seat of my bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X