1980 GS550 Poor Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 Poor Performance

8) I'm new here, and I do plenty of tinkering with these bikes, I'll try to help whenever possible. But I have a problem with my GS550 I just overhauled carbs last year, and reshimmed valves this year to .002 and compression is 150 psi on all cylinders and leakdown is showing 3% leakage. My problem is this bike tops out at 65 MPH (almost regardless of the gear.) (65 was top speed before carbs and valves too) I know these bikes are good for atleast 90 MPH or better. The bike has never been open, and used to run good, It seems to lose power around 6500 RPM. any help is greatly appreciated.

Throttle?

I also have a GS550. It is a 79, and you are right it will do 90mph. This may be very basic, but is the throttle adjusted to go to max?
    My GS550 came with a big Vetter fairing on it and when I was riding into wind it would slow it down considerably.
    Good Luck.
    Mike

Comment

I would look very closely at your wiring, connecters and wire, and possibly your coils. it sounds like ignition breakdown
      Dink

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, My Bike did have a fairing on it too, I took it off as soon as I got it. I will check the wiring and coils to see is anythings going on there. I overlooked that possibility. Thanks again

Matt

Comment

Working...
        X