Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Ignition

I have a 1977 Suzuki GS750 that I am refurbishing. I am having great difficulty finding a new set of points for this bike. Is there an electronic ignition replacement for this year and model?

Check with www.bikebandit.com for points or check with dennis Kirk on the links page under parts for elect ign package

Comment

For information, I did find out that there are only Newtronic and boyer making kits . TheNewtronic kit costs $ 210 CAN. . The mecanical advance must be used to mount the rotor , the base plate will be replace completly with a new plate and two photocells to trigger ignition . The kit is easy to install , usually 1.5 hours if you do it the first time . Boyer is $245 can.

Comment

Electronic Ignition

The unit everyone on these pages seems to like best is the Dyna S, available from Dennis Kirk for around $135 US. I have a 78 GS750 I'm planning on putting this unit on. Does anyone know of a better source (read price!) than Dennis Kirk?
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Re: Electronic Ignition

Stock point sets are still available from Suzuki for the 77 to 79 GS750. It took me about 4 days to get them once ordered. Cost was under twenty bucks. There were two types of points used for them though, the Nippondenso and the kokosan. The Nippondenso will have a small ND stamp on the point set and the Nippondenso set is a small short set.
          The Kokosan set will not have a stamp mark and is a longer set. They are not interchangable, so you will have to make sure which type you have.

Earl

Originally posted by wethead
          I have a 1977 Suzuki GS750 that I am refurbishing. I am having great difficulty finding a new set of points for this bike. Is there an electronic ignition replacement for this year and model?
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The same Nippon Denso points were used by Honda on the CB400 four.
            Perhaps a Honda dealer can get them for you.

Jojo

Comment

Re: Electronic Ignition

Originally posted by jknappsax
              The unit everyone on these pages seems to like best is the Dyna S, available from Dennis Kirk for around $135 US. I have a 78 GS750 I'm planning on putting this unit on. Does anyone know of a better source (read price!) than Dennis Kirk?

Before ordering anything from Kirk with reguard to Dyna parts contact Dyna first and make sure you get the right part. They will tell you exactly what will fit you bike.

Comment

I put a Boyer Bransden MK 3 in my '78 GS750 before I even rode it, as the points looked like they had come from the bottom of the ocean, :? and I don't like dicking around with points. :roll: That was twelve years ago and have never had a problem. As such a long time has passed, I don't remember what I paid, but I would reccommend this upgrade. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Points and more....

I found a site that has a lot of parts for the older GS's. They have the points, carb, kits, gaskets, and a lot of other stuff. They are - http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X