Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket side covers

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I might be able to find a set of aftermarket side covers for my 82 GS850L? Does anyone make a quality reproduction? Does anyone happen to know of any place I could find a pair of good used cover? Please help me.
    Thanks
    KIP

I will be going to a motorcycle retirement home (wrecking yard) this friday, and will also look to see if they have any and let you know.
    I do know that they do have a 81 gs1000gl But I do not know if they will fit or if they still have them, but I will look for them, they do have plenty of gs's.

Comment

I have never heard of any repo covers. I would imagin that the tooling costs would be astronomical,due to limited demand. I would keep checking ebay, and post under parts wanted, someone out there has some covers for you

Comment

Try this link it may be of some help http://fairings.net

Comment

I just purchased new covers for my 1100l. they were 45.00 through a local suzuki dealer. It took them a week.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980gs1100l
            I just purchased new covers for my 1100l. they were 45.00 through a local suzuki dealer. It took them a week.
            Was this price each or for the pair?

Comment

I PAID ABOUT 135.00 FOR THE SET FOR MY 1100E FROM SUZUKI AND THEY WERE BLACK-I HAVE TO PAINT THEM MYSELF-- BOY I GUESS THEY SAW ME COMING 8O

Comment

Each dealership sets it's own prices.There are recommended prices from the distributer but they cannot and do not enforce them.
                Dink
                I worked in one fro three years so I know, the differences can be enormous.

Comment

I've been tinkering with the idea of casting molds from my old covers and pouring new ones. I've researched the feasibility of doing this and there is quite a bit of products designed for the home user to do just this very thing. I was thinking of casting with the badges on and carefully using paint to make them look like origianl badges. Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
                    I've been tinkering with the idea of casting molds from my old covers and pouring new ones. I've researched the feasibility of doing this and there is quite a bit of products designed for the home user to do just this very thing. I was thinking of casting with the badges on and carefully using paint to make them look like origianl badges. Any comments or suggestions would be great.
                    I looked into having someone who works with plastics to do some for me. They said the basic mold was no problem, but they would not guarantee the tabs.

If you get around that you would have a good product and you can probably find buyers right here.

The badge should be done separately, though, since whoever buys it will have to paint the cover to match their bike, so your work on the badge would be wasted. The badge would also be easier to make as a separate part, since it would be a nearly flat mold.

Good luck
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

molding side covers

its farily simple . make a female mold and then vacumm bag the [arts to be made or just lay it up with fiberglass add 2 strips of metal where the tabs go and and small metal ring where the lower attachment goes . use camlock bolt to hold on bike . ive built several this way and they turn out beautiful . do the emblem separate and then color match the paint to your bike . you should be able to do this in a few weekends . or just buy new ones they cost about 45 bucks at your average dealer if they are more start yelling lol.

Comment

I'm having a co-worked(who does jewlery work on the side) cast some custom decals out of aluminum. I'll post about how it turns out.

Comment

That was 45 a piece.

Comment

Maier Mfg makes (or made ?) plastic replacement sidecovers for the 1980 GS1100E...

thats what I have on my left side... had to paint and stripe it myself.
                            thats was about 8 or 9 years ago... don't know if they are still available.

Comment

Fiberglas replacements wouldn't be too hard to make... you'd have to make the mold... then you could make unlimited reproductions... (not that there is a big market)

Getting the mounting tabs and locators would be the hard part of doing fiberglas ones... you might have to compromise and go with some lind of generic type mount..... (like zip-ties... )

Comment

Working...
                              X