Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help. '85 GS700ES. Gas pours from air intake drain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help. '85 GS700ES. Gas pours from air intake drain.

I'm new to working on my bike but handy. After not riding (or running) my bike for about 2 weeks (I was on vacation), I've got gas pouring out of the drain hose under the air intake. It seems to be coming from the return hose off the engine, but I can't excatly tell. Any thoughts or solutions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance, Brian

Re: Please Help. '85 GS700ES. Gas pours from air intake drai

Originally posted by newhavenbrian
    I'm new to working on my bike but handy. After not riding (or running) my bike for about 2 weeks (I was on vacation), I've got gas pouring out of the drain hose under the air intake. It seems to be coming from the return hose off the engine, but I can't excatly tell. Any thoughts or solutions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance, Brian
    First.
    Put your bike on the centerstand and check your oil level. If overfull then your crankcase is probably contaminated with fuel. Causes leaking petcock diaphram or stuck needle/set valve in carbs.
    Second
    With the petcock in run/normal position pull your vacuum line off from the #2 intake, if fuel is present your vacuum diaphram on the petcock is leaking and the petcock will need to be rebuilt or replaced. If dry then it is your carb(s) needle/set valve or defective petcock or both. Necessitating a carb cleaner and replacement of defective parts. Reference carb cleaning series. http://www.gsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

My old Honda :roll: had a petcock that had 3 positions:
      RES -> Pointing Forward
      OFF -> Pointing Down
      ON -> Pointing Backward

So, I figured my Zooky would be the same... But, It's not...
      RES -> Pointing Forward
      ON -> Pointing Down
      PRI -> Point Backward

So, I set it on PRI thinking it meant PRImary... Instead, it means PRIme... In this mode, gasoline will be gravity fed into your carbs... If you leave it in this mode too long, It will fill your carbs and overflow into the crankcase, thereby filling the crankcase with gasoline... live and learn, I guess... :roll:

Comment

fuel overflows

no matter what position your fuel petcock is in this should not happen . fuel is delivered to the carbs and when the proper level is attained in the float bowl the float should cut off fuel flow to that carb. So you either have a dirty carb float bowl , or a sticky float in one or more carbs.

Comment

Oh, yeah, and that too...

Comment

float is stuck on one or more of the carbs;

when i put an old set on - sometimes i get leaks until the rubber swells up in the seals and the floats free up;

i tap - alot - on each float bwl - while the enigne is running - if it's just a little crusty - it will break free and the float system will function again -

thus - no gas on the ground; - try it - it works;

dave-1100

Comment

Yeah I agree I had the same thing with my old GS400. I just hit the side of the carb with a wrench and it freed right up.

Comment

Working...
              X