Exhaust install - what am I doing wrong? stock 1980 gs750et

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust install - what am I doing wrong? stock 1980 gs750et

Okay, I just got everything back together but I am having a problem with getting the exhaust headers #'s 2 and 3 to go on. about a quarter of an inch on both the bolts get really tight almost as tight as the torque specs and that's when I stop. (I don't like breaking bolts on the head)....Now, the only thing wrong I can think of is that I am putting all 4 pipes on at the same time and something is keeping 2 and 3 from lining up. Either that or I didn't put the spacers on 2 and 3 on right. I don't think it is the gaskets unless they just don't crush and you leave 1/4 of an inch between the exhaust mount and the head...The manual doesn't show exhaust install, only how to take it off. HELP...

You don't say if you tightened each header pipe individually or not.
    Get them all lined up and then tighten the bolts finger tight first and then gradually tighten each one in turn working in a pattern the way you would torque a cylinder head down.

Comment

Yeah I tried that - more

1 and 4 are closer in than 2 and 3, this might be because 2 and 3 have the spacers and 1 and 4 have attached mounts. I could get 1 and 4 on fine if I wanted to. That is probably how Suzuki wants me to do it. 1 and 4 first and then line up 2 and 3 and put them on. I just haven't ever had a problem putting on an exhaust before....

Originally posted by WifeofDink
      You don't say if you tightened each header pipe individually or not.
      Get them all lined up and then tighten the bolts finger tight first and then gradually tighten each one in turn working in a pattern the way you would torque a cylinder head down.

Comment

Okay - I might have figured it out I can't tell

I am looking through the manual and I noticed that there seems to be a gap in the picture the manual shows!!!!????!?!?!?!? what the hell? I am going to post it to a file server and put the link up in another posting. CAN SOMEONE JUST GO LOOK AT THEIR BIKE AND TELL ME IF THERE IS AN 1/8" - 1/4" GAP BETWEEN THE EXHAUST MOUNT AND THE HEAD ON THEIR BIKE (BETWEEN 2 AND 3)!!!!! PLEASE. I DON'T WANNA BREAK MORE BOLTS!

Comment

okay look here

The picture shows the mount. If you look close at the mount there is a gap and you can see the bolt. Please someone just take a look at your bike if you will and tell me if there is a gap on yours in the 2 and 3 exaust mounting so I can sleep tonight!

Comment

here's a better pic

Originally posted by kent_carter
            http://www.pixhost.com/pixf/fadeseven/untitled-2.gif

The picture shows the mount. If you look close at the mount there is a gap and you can see the bolt. Please someone just take a look at your bike if you will and tell me if there is a gap on yours in the 2 and 3 exaust mounting so I can sleep tonight!

Comment

Working...
            X