Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 gs1100, how hard to find a new engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1100, how hard to find a new engine?

Im looking at buying a 1978 gs1100. The bike seems to be in great shape, however there is this sound that seems like its either the valves or possibly the timing is off. Does anyone have a problem with the timing needing to be adjusted every few thousand miles or else they get a noice like that? Provided it is a valve problem, does anyone know of a good place I can get any engine parts for it, or even a new engine?
    Thanks!
    Adam

engines and parts

I have had great success on eBay! Just search for Suzuki GS and you'll find a lot of stuff. I have even seen several engines. Some of the sellers have websites and several are Bike salvagers, try there, bet you find all you need...
    GY

Comment

Hey Adam tell us were abouts you live and I am sure some one can tell you of a good bone yard or retailer to get stuff from.

Comment

First, there was no 78 GS1100. However, sometimes people call them that after they put a 1085cc kit in them. The motors are so strong that rebuilding/refurbishing is the best bet IF all you have to do is valves(lapping)/valve seals/cleanup. Get a compression reading to start, check the valve clearances (bent valves should give you loose clearances) and then dig into it with someone that knows what they are looking at.

Comment

Working...
        X