can I get a 6 speed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I get a 6 speed??

I have a 79 Gs1000. at 60MPH in 5th gear I run about 4000RPM's. It seems like it could use another gear. Is there a model that came with a six speed that would fit. My old GS 400 had 6 gears.

IF ITS NOT A SHAFTIE THEN YOU CAN ADD 1 TOOTH TO YOUR COUNTERSHAFT SPROCKET TO GIVE YOU A HIGHER GEAR RATIO-AND STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL GEAR IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE CHANGE

Comment

The simple answer is NO all GS's were 5 speed.Your only option is to follow Scotty's suggestion and play with your final drive sprocket ratios.
      Dink

Comment

ok thanks fellas. so iam changing the sprocket on the wheel?

Comment

you have a choice of the sprocket on the wheel or just changing the drive sprocket--i chose the drive sprocket just to get it gone quickly but i will later change the rear sprocket to allow myself an easy gear ratio change later by just changing the drive sprocket--((that even confuses me SORRY))---some folks will tell you to change both sprockets to new when making this move and it is so--but i was fortunate and my rear sprocket looked perfect so i just did it the easy way. remember to compute the ratio of teeth ---one tooth on the front is equal to about 3 teeth on th rear --you must decide what results you want--if you go with the easy way((one tooth less on the drive sprocket)) then you find that is is too low you will still have the original gear to use or you can then change the rear sprockt by just adding 1 or 2 teeth 8O 8O 8O

Comment

so 1 extra tooth on the front sprocket will lower rpms?

Comment

THANKS RICK I AM ALWAYS THINKING THAT PEOPLE WANT TO DRAG RACE
              MY ENTIRE POST WAS COMPLETELY BACKWARDS SORRY ALL

Comment

You may find this chart useful
                Final Drive Ratios here http://www.partspartners.com/html/gear_ratios.html

Comment

Good Questions!! I, too, am interested in making a switch in order to lower RPM's. If I go from 15 to 16 teeth...how much difference will I notice? An example would be great. Thanks to all.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I THINK I READ SOME INFORMATION ON THE COPE RACING WEBSITE THAT SAID THAT ONE TOOTH ON THE REAR SPROCKET WILL BE GOOD FOR A 500RPM CHANGE. THIS WAS IN 1100 GSs-SO MY GUESS AGAIN IF I DARE TO -IS THAT ONE TOOTHE ON THE FRONT MAY GIVE APROXIMATELY 1500 RPM change --BUT AGAIN ALL BIKES DO NOT HAVE THE SAME RATIOS OF FRONT TO REAR SPROCKET---USING PROPORTION MAY BE THE BEST BET

Comment

where can I find a front sprocket to lower my RPM's at highways peeds?

Comment

You can find sprockets at any local shop or http://www.denniskirk.com or the like. I've recently been playing with my sprocket combos, and ended up back at stock gearing. I went to a 43 from a 45 in the back to get better gas milage, and didn't like the loss of snap, and didn't notice much difference in rpm and gas milage from it. So I figured I would try dropping a tooth in the front a 13 down from a 14. This was great around town, but when I hit the highway I just felt bad for my engine. So back I went to stock gearing all around. I figure when I try the bike in the 1/8th mile this summer, I'll put the 13 back on the front giving me a 3.41 final ratio. It should be fun keeping the front wheel down 8O have fun

Comment

6 speed GS

just to add a bit of useless info, I think a GS 450 or 500 might have come with a six speed, however it is not transferable to a 1000. just FYI

Comment

I would like to back that up. My 550 has six speeds or I?m shifting into some odd other world dimension that allows me to go beyond fith gear.
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Same here - '79 550, six cogs. Still I would be surprised if it were at all practical to convert a 5 speed to 6, and either way isn't the final gear 1:1?

Comment

Working...
                              X