Now That The Forums Are Up And Running Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now That The Forums Are Up And Running Again

I WAS WONDERING IF WE COULD REVIVE A MOST INTERESTING AND ENJOYABLE THREAD--IM REFERING TO THE ONE WHERE WE ALL VOLINTEERED TO TELL OUR EMBARRASING AND FUNNY STORIES- THE WHOLE THING STARTED LAST OCTOBER WHEN SOME FINE GENT TOLD US OF HIS HALOWEEN RIDE AND HOWLING AT THE MOON. NEXT CAME BEE STINGS-BUG SWALLOWING- ACCIDENTLY DRIVING INTO A PUDDLE THAT TURNED OUT TO BE 3 FEET DEEP --AND IT WENT ON AND ON.
    IN ADDITION TO IT BEING AMUSING IT WAS INDEED A LEARNING EXPERIENC BECAUSE WE WERE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNIY TO LEARN FROM AND LAUGH AT THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS--NOTHING WAS EVER MENTIONED ABOUT FALLING OFF MOTORCYCLES WHILE NOT EVEN MOVING

And you topped the list

And crashing in one's driveway and falling off one's chair 8O in the driveway topped the list ole buddy.
    David :roll:

Comment

DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO CONFESS OLD BUDDY

Comment

Funny happenings..

Scotty: Sounds like a great idea. I've barely had my GS running more or less properly long enough to get comfortable on it, so I have no stories there, but if you'll accept a story that happened on another bike, I'll be glad to go first.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Re: Funny happenings..

Originally posted by argonsagas
          Scotty: Sounds like a great idea. I've barely had my GS running more or less properly long enough to get comfortable on it, so I have no stories there, but if you'll accept a story that happened on another bike, I'll be glad to go first.
          WHEN I GET BACK FROM BIKE ABOUT I WILL START WITH AN ACCOUNT OF ALL THE UN INTENTIONAL SPILL I HAVE EVER MADE 8O --STARTING WITH DEATH VALLEY IN 1967---HONESTLY THERE ARENT MANY --I HAVE FALLEN IN MY FLORIDA DRIVEWAY AND IN GAS STATIONS MORE TIMES . I HOPE SOMEONE WILL START THE BALL ROLLING PERHAPS A CERTAIN ENGLISHMAN TELLING ABOUT SINGING OKLAHOMA REPEATS ARE VERY ACCEPTABLE HERE (AUSTRALIA)

Comment

it's already posted

Scotty, if you will read this forum, you will see my last stupid embarrassment is already posted.
            8O 8O David

Comment

David seeing as Scotty has thrown down the gauntlet I think we should all oblige him.
              Who's going first :roll:

Comment

I tried to oblige. I wrote about my train-stopping episode, but it disappeared.

Maybe it took too long to type it....how much time is available?
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

plenty of time days weeks-do it in a word processor and post it when you loke the way it sounds

Comment

Ok I will start it rolling.
                    way back in high school my best frend and myself spent many a night terorizing the town on my high performance racing honda 200 twinstar (LOL) one night out running around shoe polishing peoples cars, we had just tagged miss popularities car when we came to a stop at a intersection and waited for cross traffic to go by, after the last car passed by I decide to do a drag launch across the intersection, unknown to me my buddy had let go of the hand hold and was scratching his family jewels, as I launched across the intersection his legs wiz past my head, I slam on the brakes and his legs come back down and he slams into my back emitting a high pitch sqeel that could have broke glass.

it turned out that as I launched he instinctivly grabbed hold tight, unfortunatly he grabbed his jewels 8O . instead of the hand holds.

he never let go of the hand holds after that, and he was sore for a couple days.

Comment

I'll go next

Dink was riding home from work one day when the clutch cable broke, so as not to get stuck at traffic lights etc he decided to take a short cut via the railway underpass, as it had been raining the day before the underpass was flooded. But Dink being Dink thought "I'll make it through there okay" he was half way through and the water was getting deeper when the bike stalled, he had to push it out and when it wouldn't start he borrowed a cell phone from someone who had stopped to help him. Imagine my surprise when he rang me wanting me to collect him, his words to me were "Honey I tried to drown the bike". I went and collected him and the bike which were both muddy. I still laugh when I think of him sitting on the bike on the trailer being driven 3 blocks home.
                      I couldn't help asking him what the bike had done to him that he felt he needed to try and drown it :?

Comment

I'll be next then: My moment in the "limelight" came on my first ride on Highway 49 (Gold country, CA). I had started early in the morning with my practically new purchase of my GS (owned it for about 2 weeks). Cruising down the road I spotted a coffee shop off the road a bit at the top of a gravel driveway. It looked like a good place as it was packed with cars and people. Soooooooooooooo, I turn off highway 49 and head up the rather steep incline. The gravel was quite soft and my rear tire was doing some spinning and digging gouges. I get right up next to everyone drinking coffee (and watching me), perform the most perfect slow speed turn, stop the bike on some rather level ground and promptly put my foot down into one of the beforementioned gouges that I just created. So there I am, for a split second in complete control to a complete fool. Nothing like having a bunch of yuppies rushing hither and yon in a attempt to help me pick the bike back up, plus a few snickers.

Comment

I'll try this again..

First bike I owned was a hard-tail 1953 Triumph 500 twin vibrator. An hour at a steady speed and even your arms went numb. One afternoon in late summer I was riding beside a railway track, which had a hydro right-of way running parallel to it and a freight train was coming along slowly, as it was shunting cars from somewhere nearby.

The grass was 2 to 3 feet tall and I was rolling along at about 35 mph, enjoying the grass seed spraying everywhere, when I got a terrific thump in the tail and found I was looking directly into my own headlight.

It took a moment to comprehend that I was upright, but in reverse, and I twisted my hands to get back down on the seat. That worked, but it opened the throttle again and a moment later the bike went back up in the air and I was right back in the same position.

OK, I thought, I know what to do now, so I rolled back down and, damn! Back up again!.

This might have been fun if I knew what was going on, but I was getting
                          really worried, so I pulled the bike over and rode it down onto the ground.

As I came to a stop and scrambled out from under the bike I heard this banging sound, and laughter. As I looked up I saw the engineer of the train leaning out his window and slapping his hand on the side, just killing himself with laughter. He said he was sorry, but that had to be the funniest thing he had ever seen. He said he had been watching me in the grass and wishing he could be out there, when I suddenly went up 10 to 15 feet in the air and my feet were straight up.

He barely had time to think I might get hurt, when I did it again and by the third time he had pulled the brake, but he couldn't stop laughing.

My pride may have been shot, but I was not hurt, so I had to laugh with him. The cause was a series of dirt mounds, about 3 foot in diameter...we guessed the hydro people had pulled out some posts, and the former holes were invis
                          ible in the grass, and when I rode up the first one my speed gave me a temporary launch capability that brought me back down just in time to catch the next one in the series.

Not a performance I would care to repeat. I've done many strange things in my life, but that was the only time I stopped a train.
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I've only been riding a few weeks but I got one already....

A couple days after I got Suzi I rode to a friends house to show off my toy. After he gave it the apraising eye, he hopped on his Virago and I mounted Suzi. We took off at speed and at the first left, she staunchly refused to turn and stood straight upright before finnaly turning. 8O
                            I'd left the sidestand down

When i've got something really embarrasing I'll post it here.

Comment

I can relate to the side stand being down, been there done that. I did save it though. I heard the grinding below me and figured that's what I'd done so I quickly rolled level, swiped the sidestand up, and rolled left just in time to make the turn.

I've already posted my infamous drainage ditch episode before the forum was updated I think, so I'll go over my first road accident. (There aren't THAT many...) I was slicing through traffic in downtown Winnipeg when I came to a nifty set of 90 degree turns that I always (til then) had loads of fun on. This time I was focusing on getting by a slow car before the next turn, gassed it hard, then got on the brakes pretty hard before flicking over... Well, this had worked plenty before but this time there was a new element added in. Somebody had leaked deisel fuel all over my lane 8O . One moment I was leaned in all stable and happy, the next I was sliding on my side watching my bike disappear below me. Whoa! What about that car! Quickly I rolled to my feet and jumped out of his way. The guy never slowed down. Yikes! I think he was ticked at being passed, but seriously I think he took that a little far. I didn't even see the spill until after the accident.

So, I still had to get home and my bike had only slid along the road, but as I went to pick it up I realized it was wedged under a guardrail. Ack! :x Fortunately someone stopped to see if I needed a hand, so I borrowed their car jack, jacked up the rail and got the bike out. Poor bike! 2 new turn signals, fiberglassing the tail section, and a new set of handgrips later, it's all fixed. However, I felt that previously mentioned syndrome of drive home, feel fine, sleep, can't move. Ouch.

Lessons learned:
                              Don't rip around in the city, too dangerous
                              Learn to read the road in front of you in terms of traction (or lack thereof) Obviously I was going to quickly to do that properly. My bad

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X