Idle settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle settings?

What are you all running for your idles?

I just got Suzi out of the shop with new carb seals and jets and she's idling higher than before. Prior to her leaking gas out of carb 4, she'd hold 900 - 1000 rpm's off ignition, and 1100 - 1200 after a ride. Now she's holding 1100 - 1200 off ignition, and 1700 - 2000 after a ride.

What's a good idle for my bike? What are the pro's and con's of running it low or high?

my 750 idles at 1000 , when hot its about 1200, im not sure why the motor will idle up when hot.....anyone?[/quote]

Comment

the idle speed range is from 850 to 1150rpm, (at least for the 850-1100g's) my 1000g idles at around 800rpm when it first comes off the choke and after riding and getting it good and warmed up to normal operating temp, it idles at around 1200rpm, and seems to be happiest idling at 1200.
      rick, the engine idles up when hot because the oil heats up and flows easyer lowering parasitic drag on the engine and the carburators and fuel in the carbs are warmer when the engine is warmed up alowing the fuel to atomize more completly raising the idle speed.

Comment

idle speed

My 78 GS750 idles at 1000rpm, after warming up for a few minutes. Even after a good ride, its a 1000 - 1050 rpm. If its higher after its warm, try lowering the idle and using your choke for longer when cold, after all, thats what its there for. Also, make sure your mixture is bang on. It might be slighly lean.

Comment

I think the Madhatter is correct in saying that it's probably running a little lean. I found the factory settings on the air screws to be about a half turn too lean. I drilled them out and backed them out and the idle is very stable at about 1100 RPM.... up slightly when it's hot. Have fun and be careful!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X