1980 GS850GT Turns Signal Intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850GT Turns Signal Intermittent

Hello, My right turn signal will not blink on my 1980 GS850GT! The signals do light up and the signal indicator light lights up but they don't blink off and on. The left signal and indicator light works fine. Are these signal lights both controlled by the same sending unit? If so how do I test to find the problem? Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks, Terry South

are both the front and rear lit and bright. check the bulbs. next check that the grounds are good. then check turn signal flasher 80 model uses 3 prong flasher go to local auto parts and get one to try. last would be the turn signal controler??

Comment

indicators

I had EXACTLY the same problem on my 78 GS750. Yes, all flashers use the one relay, its just a three terminal device, the signal is routed via the turn switch on the bars. My problem was a bad ground. I had a broken cable. Try grasping the cable run in one hand and slowly moving it up/down/in/out, see if you can re-make a broken connection. My brake was in the main cable run to the left of and just underneath the tank. Basicly, 12 volts is applied to the main pole of the relay. Then if you put your signal switch in the left postion, the left pole of the relay is earthed through the left indicators. Vice versa for the right. So if you cant find your broken cable / bad earth, then connect the pole of the relay directly to earth with a piece of wire, this will prove you have a bad connection. You know the wiring from the relay to the switch is fine because the bulbs light up.

Comment

I agree with the bad ground. The turn signal circuit is very simple. It's just a big loop. Make sure all of the bulbs are the same wattage, make sure the sockets are clean, and check your grounds. I had great success on a GS1000GL using a standard automotive flasher unit, that'll save you about 30.00.

Tim

Comment

Don't forget to check those bulbs! Pull them and visually examine them. I had a problem with my 1100, and was fooled by the fact that the signal bulb seemed okay. Both front and back bulbs would brighten but no blinking at idle. It would blink if I turned up the revs. When I pulled the bulb I realized that the filament on the front signal had broken, fallen, and was bridging across to the running light filament (hence the brightening, and the appearance that bulb was okay). $1 bulb and all was well.

Comment

Loose ground wire

Thanks for the advise guys! I did check all the wires first and it turned out to be a loose ground wire that you never would have noticed without wiggling everything around and seeing what worked. Thanks, Terry South

Comment

Working...
            X