Just bought and 83 GS750E...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought and 83 GS750E...

First of all, Hi. My name is Allan Deal. I live in Harrington, DE and recently bought a 1983 GS750E from a friend. I bought the motorcycle a week ago and I need to know what to do with it before I go on any real riding trips. The motorcycle sat for over 3 years and I want to get it all good to go. It only has a little over 4900 miles on it and is near mint condition. Only a little cosmetic rust here and there and some corrosion on the engine. Corrosion was easily removed with a little steel wool. My buddy was the original owner and maintained it well (He just didn't ride it it would seem). I have changed the gas (put in 93oct), oil (20W50), spark plugs, and the air filter. The fuel tank was pretty clean inside and showed no signs of rust. What else should I do? It seemed to have a bit of hesitation (bogged down) when in the lower eighth to quarter of the throttle, but takes off like a shot after that, changing out the air filter seems to have solved the bog down. I need to change out the oil seals on the front forks because they began leaking really bad about two days into ownership. I would appreciate any assistance that you folks could give me. Thank you for your attention and I look forward to being part of your forum family.

The simples thing is to run some gas TREATMENT through the first few tanks of gas- lubricate your clutch and tach cables and after that --not having any specific experience with that model-I would suggest doing what all of us seem to do often--SPEND SOME TIME CHECKING EVERY SINGLE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION ON THE BIKE--tightness--clean surface of contact--remove and re connect as many things as you can find including the fuses--you will get lots more ideas from the rst of the tribe--GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW RIDE

Comment

oh yeah....

Tach is not working. Have not had the chance to investigate it yet. Slowpoke, thanks for the input. I'll be running through the electrical connections ASAP.

Comment

Slowpoke probably knows more about bikes than I do but I'm sure I read somewhere that gas treatment products should be avoided because they can cause clutch slippage and possibly damage the clutch plates. Comments would be welcome!! :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Tach is electronic on your 83 GS750E, receiving signal from the "ignitor" via black wire with yellow tracer. As Scotty said, it's a good idea to check out and clean your wiring harness, including all connections and especially grounds. The biggest weaknesses of the GS's are electrical problems, which can be minimized by this check.

I think Chunkycheese may be thinking of oil treatment products causing clutch problems. I don't see how gas treatments can affect the clutch. I think Chevron's Techroline (spelling?) gas additive is supposed to be good at cleaning the fuel system if accumulated crud is not too bad already.

Comment

Simon's right...I was thinking of oil treatments. Sorry for the confusion.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have used the chevron with techron fuel treatment, and found it to be a good choice. It worked well, but if the buildup is too severe, nothing you can add to the fuel is going to do it. Hope this helps, Dominick.......

Comment

A few other obvious chores: change engine oil and filter, check chain for condition and proper adjustment, then lube, clean and oil air filter, check battery electrolyte and trickle charge, check adjustments and lube cables (throttle and clutch), squirt WD-40 in switch gear, check condition of tires and tire pressure, check brake pad thickness and brake operation, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                  Tach is electronic on your 83 GS750E, receiving signal from the "ignitor" via black wire with yellow tracer.
                  Simon,
                  Did you ever get your tach sorted out?

Comment

Dan:

No I didn't. It kind of slipped down my priority list since a bad fork seal leak has delayed my riding anyway. So I'm still living with my temporary "fix" of having put thin red pinstripe tape on the speedo to mark red line speed for first 4 gears.

Comment

Working...
                    X