General Rule? Bad Electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Rule? Bad Electrics

I've read many times on these pages that the GS models have marginal electrics. I note that the original sales brochure for my '81 GS1100EX says that (in this second year of production) "Last years ... was so close to perfect ... it needed only a few refinements ... so we added running lights [front], and a more powerful alternator". Did they fix any of the other common GS electrical problems by then? Is there any general rule about which models/years are likely to have problems? Would this more powerful alternator let me add any load, maybe a running light conversion on the rear? Thanks, Al.

While I can't answer your specific questions, I can tell you our experience with the '81 GS1000...the problems with the electrics on this one came from poor grounding of the electronic ignition module and an overabundance of connectors...corrosion heaven, leading to overheating and melting wires/connectors. So, running a new ground wire and hardwiring some of those connections and all is well once again. I would suspect the '81 GS1100 is not all that different, but I don't know that bike at all, so I can only guess. I'm sure some of our more learned wrenches will chime in and help you out on the specifics of your bike.

Comment

problem

Really no difference at all do as she says and it should be fine . The system of grounds and connections on these bikes is poor to be nice about it , and if it ever sat in the weather fora long time then rework everthing.

Comment

They did not improve with age my 85 1150 suffers the same problems as earlier ones so pay careful attention to your wiring and make absolutely certain that all connections are tight and clean,paying special attention to earths
        Dink

Comment

Yep, I would reinforce checking all the connections, cleaning them and putting in a direct earth or two just to make sure. I have had my 1978 GS1000 since 1980, and the earth and connectors do get a hard time. Reminds me that the old girl is due for a cleaning of connectors yet again.....

Comment

suzuki didnt know any thing about the problems we face on a regular basis back in 1981.
            the conection shorts and ground problems dont start to show up till a bike is around five years old at the early'st well out side the waranty period, as for adding rear running lights, I have a tail light intergrator on my 80' gs1000g (it turns the rear turn signals into running lights and brake lights with out afecting the turnsignals or requiring differant bulbs) and my bike still has plenty of power left.

Comment

suzuki didnt know any thing about the problems we face on a regular basis back in 1981.
              the conection shorts and ground problems dont start to show up till a bike is around five years old at the early'st well out side the waranty period, as for adding rear running lights, I have a tail light intergrator on my 80' gs1000g (it turns the rear turn signals into running lights and brake lights with out afecting the turnsignals or requiring differant bulbs) and my bike still has plenty of power left, so your bike with a "higher output alternator" should be able to handle rear running lights with ease.

Comment

It's not that they have bad electrics, it's just that they have bad electrical problems. Its a zen thing. :?

Keep your earth connections clean and you shouldn't have any problems.

The underlying problem is that the alternator/regulator unit is not very robust. If the earth connections don't keep the load circuits, such as battery charging circuit, headlights, blinkers, etc, in operation, then the R/R unit gets loaded up with the alternator output, it heats up and fails, and the alternator can then burn out.

Kim

Comment

Charging problems are avoidable

I've been riding GS bikes since 1986 and for 200,000 miles on four 850's and now my GS1100GK. In all that time I've replaced one stator, not one reg/rect, and that was on my first 850, back in 1988. I learned from an old GS850 and 1100 Canadian owner about keeping connections clean, and ground connections clean and secure. I also learned to keep the battery charged all the time, and not to run extraneous electrical devices that run it down and overwork the stator and/or reg-rect. It also helps to ride often and keep things running well altogether. Idleness is the work of the electrical devil.

Not one charging problem on five different GS bikes in 14 years and countless thousands of miles. That is not dumb luck, folks. It's preventive maintenance. It's a marginal charging system, compared to that on modern bikes, but it may last indefinitely with caring maintenance.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X