Stator cover gasket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover gasket.

What's the general consensus on changing the left engine cover gasket when changing the stator? If it isn't chewed up, can it be re-used? How do you guys feel about this?

Marty:

Don't know about consensus, but I had mine off due to loose bolts in the stator, put it back with washers under the bolts and they touched. Took it off again, removed the washers and replaced it. I haven't changed the gasket yet and it has been running for a week and used two tanks of gas.

Not a drop of oil leak.

Both the gasket and housing were dried carefully before reassembly.

Strong warning....don't use screwdrivers or metal pry bars of any kind to remove the cover. You have to pull hard enough to overcome the magnet,
    but you shouldn't need to pry it.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I have heard that the Electrex stator comes with a new gasket.

Comment

Re: Stator cover gasket.

Originally posted by Dex
        What's the general consensus on changing the left engine cover when changing the stator? If it isn't chewed up, can it be re-used? How do you guys feel about this?
        I have reused the old gasket if it wasn't damaged or brittle with good success. Sometimes using Grey Permatex gasket maker.

Comment

Re: Stator cover gasket.

Originally posted by Dex
          What's the general consensus on changing the left engine cover when changing the stator? If it isn't chewed up, can it be re-used? How do you guys feel about this?
          Hi Marty,

Do you mean if the gasket surface isn't chewed up? Or if the bearing in the cover isn't chewed up?

My answer is to reuse the cover - replace it only if an old out-of-true rotor has damaged the bearing portion. It is better to use a gasket as the thing is designed to have a certain tolerance on that bearing and having no gasket might apply some end-load that Mr Suzuki didn't have in mind.

Kim

Comment

kim,

I was curious about the gasket itself, I left a word out in my initial post that I have gone back and edited. Everything else, with the exception of the stator, is in great shape. I just know that in some auto applications, depending on use, that it is reccomended to change the gasket everytime it is removed. but if the Electrex does come with a new gasket as Lynn sugests it does , then it isn't really an issue. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex
              kim,

I was curious about the gasket itself, I left a word out in my initial post that I have gone back and edited.
              Hey Marty,

Leaving the most important word out can have consequences. It must be real fun when you go to the doctor. :-)

Kim

Comment

Working...
              X