vibraton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vibraton

Hi all I am a bit worried about my 81 1000 GX I am fairlysure that it is only the cam rattleing but heres how it sounds. nothing at idle runs smooth then once in gear takeing off a rattle that sonds like pin rattle (labouring) in a car or that rattle a diesel makes, I hear this up to about 2 and a half 3 grand then it disapears as i go up in gears and speed also if I dont go down enough gears at lower speeds less than 100 k (about 55 miles/hr)and lower I get the labour rattle. is this just cam slack or something worse. any ideas?

Be sure timing isn't set too high, also try 93 octane gas with some octane booster.

Comment

Rattling

What weight oil are you using? Could it be the front fender catching the wind? I had that problem. The front fender actually is attached to the bracket by 4 rivits. Over time the holes in the fender have opened up and there was some play there. Little bit of JB weld and all is quiet again. How tight are the mirrors. Loose while not sloppy mirrors will make a little vibration seem worse than it really is.

Comment

I agree you should start with good gasoline. Unless you have 10:1 or over pistons 93 octane should work just fine. If it continues, check your timing. Let me ask you this: Have you done anything to the bike's engine? Mess with the cams or timing chain?

Tim

Comment

You have a GS1100! I would say it is clutch rattle. the primary drive gear on the clutch basket is rivetted to the basket and as the motor ages it developes a rattle and generally some vibes, if you can live with it it will do no harm or you can purchase uprated clutch assemblies to fix it.
          Dink

Comment

Ok the fuel is unleaded somtimes priemium I will not use that lead replacement crap (Dink will know what I mean) there is no leaded fuel in Australia any more. no I have not touched the engine no need to at this point she's runnig well other than this noise.

it sounds like its a pretty normal thing but I will keep an eye on it
            thanks for the input

andrew j

Comment

Working...
            X