530 Chain conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Chain conversion?

Is there anyone that can give info or advuce on a 630 to 530 chain conversion?
    Links, sprocket sizes, shim for the primary, or better yet a conversion kit? 8O
    This for a 1982 GS1100EZ.
    I would like to use a DID 530 lighter, more available chain.

i would stick with the #630 chain, look in www.denniskirk.com i found lots of them in there catalog.

Comment

530 chain

I recently changed my 79 750 to a 530 chain. Many sources say that the 630 is overkill, originally specified after seeing all the trouble Honda CB750s had with their final drive chain. I've put about 600 miles on mine and it doesn't seem to be stretching abnormally. (I realize that could change). Stock sprocket ratio is 15/41 for Gs750 15/42 for Gs1000. I found mine locally, but a search on the web should yield good results.

Terry

(after I bought mine, I got an e-mail from MRE racing I'll give them a try the next time)

Comment

The new 530s must be stronger right?

I mean the GSXRs are using a sealed 530, and they are pulling qite a bit. I found a rear sprocket that will bolt on to the rear, but I am yet to find a primary with a built on shim that won't come loose.
        Someone must have done this conversion.

I ride this 1100 pretty hard, I am going to modify the clutch basket, add a manual cam chain tensioner, and performance valve springs to spruce up the weak areas. I figured if a 530 can stand up to someone riding a GSXR pretty hard then I should be OK?

Comment

keep in mind that the new gsx-r is quite a bit lighter than an old gs. I know that a friend of mine has a new gsx-r 750, and my 750 has about 100, maybe 150 lbs on his, easy. The new bikes are all plastic and tin foil. this may effect the stress on the drive chain and allow the newer bikes to use a smaller lighter chain. I'd rather have overkill, than too light or small. Dominick.......

Comment

In Australia we have several companies that manufacture sprockets.If you can find one locally speak to them.They can either supply you off the shelf or make it for you.I rang and spoke to one of the local companies here about converting my 1150(significantly heavier and more powerful than a 750)to 530, in particular as to why I would want to do so.
            The response was that when our bikes were made a 530 chain was not strong enough and so the strongest that could be found was 630 but it entailed a significant weight penalty, however since that time manufacturing techniques have come a long way and 530 was more than capable of handling the stesses involved now(i.e. the Hayabusa uses 530 chain)and would give a free horsepower boost(always wortwhile)and a weight saving as well as being cheaper to puschase.
            Dink

Comment

My sentiments exactly

Comment

Slightly off-topic...

Has anybody else considered converting to a drive-belt? Buell is using them and that gives me confidence that they are strong enough. Has anybody done any investigative work to see whether the Buell sprockets would fit into any of our chassis?

Comment

No problem !
                  Check my site http://www.biker66.com , go to 'Mods' and '630/530' et voil? !

Basically, you buy a six bolt rear sprocket from a GSXR (bring your existing rear sprocket for comparison).
                  The countershaft sprocket for a GSXR fit the splines on the GS.
                  Replace the shim/damper behind your countershaft sprocket with a shim of equal thickness but less radius.
                  Some shops have these on the shelf, if not, they're easily made.

It's easy, just do it

Comment

Working...
                  X