Anyone use a fuel filter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a fuel filter.

Does anyone use an aftermarket in line fuel filter ? Are there any problems due to the fact that fuel is gravity fed ? Should I use one particular type over another ? I have a 78 GS750, any advice will be appreciated .

i also have a 78 750ec, i use the auto style filter, the glass kind to take apart to clean, make sure you get a filter that is 5/16 inlet and outlet.

Comment

Aftermarket filter

I use an inline fuel filter because my tank is a little corroded inside. But the petcock is equipped with a vacuum line and a valve. The fuel doesn't flow unless the engine is running. The only time I had a little problem was when the vac line slipped off and no fuel was getting to the engine. Easy fix.
      GY

Comment

I've had an inline clear fuel filter on my gs1000g for about a month now with no problems as of yet.Will probably have no problems till it gets full. Then I will just replace it.Was having some carb problems.When I had them rebuilt the mechanic put the filter on.I think it is a good idea ,certainly shouldn't do any harm.

Comment

I put a fuel filter on recently when I was doing some carb work and found the bowls coated with red gritty dust-like sediment. We have been getting some pretty dodgy fuel here over recent months.

I use a plastic throw-away filter. There is no problem with the gravity feed as the filter element surface is quite large.

I mounted the filter just behind the top of the carbs 2 & 3. I have pod air filters, you might have an airbox in the way, although the filter sits quite high. If you go this way it is better to get a filter with a 90 degree bend in the outlet pipe as this saves a bend in the delivery line. The fuel line comes from the tank towards the front of the bike, loops around towards the rear where it enters the filter, then out and down to the carby connection. I turned the connector nipple towards the rear of the bike so it faces the filter better.

Kim

Comment

This is what I run....works well

Comment

fuel filter

Don't drive without one.

I had to clean my carbs a month ago and found tiny bits of junk clogging the pilot jets. After cleaning and reinstalling the carbs, it happened again. My tank was professionally cleaned and re-lined last year, and the gas was fresh, so it had to be a bad batch of gas. I put on an in-line filter and that stopped the problem.

I think it likely that I filled up just after the truck refilled the gas station tanks, so the sediment was stirred up in those tanks. This can happen whenever a station tanks are re-filled, so I believe a filter is a necessity.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Obviously I need a filter !! Thanks everyone, I will be fitting one this weekend.

Comment

Fuel Filters

I use a clear plastic filter with a paper filter on the inside, not the ones they sell in the mc shops. In fact I purchased mine at the Tractor supply. It's a lawn mower filter. It fits neatly under the seat. It is placed justr in front of the carbs.

It is a $2.00 item and will save you much grief.

Comment

I use a clear glass filter with replaceable elements. Works great, last long time. I went to this after my carbs kept fouling. I couldn't see any rust or sediment in my tank, but time after time the carbs would foul. Filter changed all that.

Comment

Working...
                    X